Thread: Monolithic Bullets

Monolithic Bullets

Do monolithic bullets make calibres fight in a heavier class? Bullets like Barnes TSX and TTSX , Sellier&Bellot Exergy, .......and many others as an example.
    Does the use of these bullets allow the calibre to be used on game heavier than is intented use? From the start I am a Nosler Partition man. A 175 grain Nosler Partition out of a 7 mm RM looses about 35% of it's weight, wich makes a mushromm from about 113.75 grain. A 120/130/140 grain Barnes X bullet out of a 270 or a 6.5x64 looses almost no weight and has at similar velocities a heavier projectile to penetrate the game. A 80/85 grain TSX/TTSX bullets could in this scenario be an excellent bullet for lighter sized hill deer.
    These bullets could allow us to use lighter calibres, with less recoil and still have optimum performance on game. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    These bullets could allow us to use lighter calibres, with less recoil and still have optimum performance on game
    +1

85gr barnes in 243 kills well above its weight and i have found barnes do less meat damage.
    In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
    Mark Twain

surely monolithic bullets are less dense and lighter for size than cup and core lead filled ones?
    weight loss is a side effect of expansion which is a design feature to make a larger than calibre wound channel and impart kinetic energy (and shock ) into the target

I am not aware of any metal denser than lead being used for target or hunting bullets. Is there? Or have I misunderstood the question?

surely monolithic bullets are less dense and lighter for size than cup and core lead filled ones? yes i have to agree

weight loss is a side effect of expansion which is a design feature to make a larger than calibre wound channel and impart kinetic energy (and shock ) into the target. would not say that the bullet changes shape rather than expands (we could do the math but i would bet that the volume of the bullet would stay the same, assuming not change in mass.)

SD of monolothic bullets are approx the same (140gr 7mm barnes ttsx 0.248 speer hot cor 145gr 7mm 0.257, spliting hairs)

Andy7mm

Quote Originally Posted by Andy7mm View Post
    would not say that the bullet changes shape rather than expands (we could do the math but i would bet that the volume of the bullet would stay the same, assuming not change in mass.)
    i don't mean "expands" in the "blowing a balloon up" sense obviously
    but more in the "a .308 calibre bullet measure .550 at widest point after exit" type of way

out of interest how does a similar BC'd monlithic compare in outer dimensions to a cup and core sibling?
    ​assume they are longer are they?

I think it's generally accepted that bullets of the Barnes (T)TSX type have a reliable expansion up to about 2.5 times calibre and no loss of weight. Meat dammage and bruising, again in general, is far less than with conventional bullets. A Nosler Partition keeps about 65% of it's weight after passing through game. Traditional softpoints loose on avarage more weight. So a 175 grain Nosler Partition becomes lighter than a 120 grain TSX when smashing through bone, meat and blood. As monolithic bullets are lighter ( brass hass lesser density) they become longer compared to a traditional jacketed bullet of the same weight. So they do not become to short if you go lighter.
    My question was/is : Can we presume that with monolithic bullets calibres kill above their weight? Like Top Predator says : a 243 kills well above it's weight.
    A 6.5x47 with 120 grain TTSX or a 7-08 with 120/130 grain TTSX can become more effective using this bullets.