Thread: Quick Release mounts

Quick Release mounts

Hi folks,

Hoping for some advice with regard to the above. I've read numerous threads on a couple of fora and am still a bit confused/unsure.

The situation; I have 2 rifles: .243 Tikka T3 Super Varmint (with Picatinny rail) and a 22rf Bruno 2e.

At present the Tikka is has a S&b 8x56. I'm awaiting delivery of a Yukon Photon. I would like a way of being able share the Photon between both rifles and also still use the s&b for stalking.

I've looked at various QD mounts but I'm really not sure if there is a simple solution to the problem.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Best regards
    James

From what you have described, QD mounts aren't an easy option, having two scopes for one rifle would be fine, but wanting to swap one scope between rifles, would have obvious implications on POI and you would have to re zero each time you switched......
    ​unless I have totally got the wrong end of the stick!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Yep, I was hoping to overcome that my just noting the POI difference between the 2 rifles and then dialling the necessary in once the scope was mounted.

I was hoping for a solution that allowed easy swapping between the 2 rifles without having to undo scope mounts etc.

Thanks
    James

there is a great solution, use EAW blank bases and get your (proper) smith to drill and tap for a uniform fit between your two rifles, then have rings installed on both scopes. you may wish to have the rear bridge mount lug on the brno filled with a drop of weld and milled flat, same with front and on the tikka to allow the bases to sit properly flush. in fact eaw might have tikka bases now, so you may only need to get a set of bases drilled and tabbed to the brno

not cheap, probably run you close to 500 start to finish,,but will work.

I had a quote the other day for eaw pivot mounts and 2 sets of rings and it was well over 600, you'll be looking at more for two sets of bases.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    I had a quote the other day for eaw pivot mounts and 2 sets of rings and it was well over 600, you'll be looking at more for two sets of bases.
    Ah, but you'll want to order them through NECG and pay me a small commission to have them shipped through my family in the US ;-) half the price

Quote Originally Posted by pietasvenatores View Post
    Ah, but you'll want to order them through NECG and pay me a small commission to have them shipped through my family in the US ;-) half the price
    Na, just bought a set of QD levers for my talley mounts for 25 and transformed them from fixed to QD, simples!

There are plenty of QD mounts which would enable you to use one scope on two rifles, as you have already said by noting the point of aim difference on each rifle and recording the dialled difference.
    However in your case I do not think it is possible because most, if not all, 22rf rifles have a narrow mounting rail than a CF rifle.
    So I reckon the base on your .22rf will not take the same mounts that fit the base/picatinny rail on your .243.

anything is possible with the appropriate application of cash and engineering!!

the issues here I see are the costs associated with QD'ing a tikka
    starting with a rail system would be the obvious option

Picatinny rails to convert 9-11mm rimfire dovetail are easy to find

and there are similar rails to convert the Tikka 15-17mm dovetail to a more universal "Weaver" size

then there are any amount of QD lever options that will allow return to zero

but......
    as one who has swapped scopes between RF to CF and back again I can tell you the difference in zero can be dramatic
    compounded by the fact that you are rezeroing a NV scope

The Ziegler ZP Contra claw hook mount is excellent. http://www.alanrhone.com/ziegler.html Be sure to look at the CONTRA model, the traditional claw hook is to expensive.
    I used one made by Otto Bock and was very pleased. Recknagel also has a good pivot mount. Most german mounts will have one set of bases and rings on the diffrent scopes.
    POI will not change when replacing the scopes.