Thread: Selling venison to a local restaurant

Selling venison to a local restaurant

There are a couple of threads active at the moment on the selling of and or traceability of venison, but can someone tell me what is legal in terms if selling to my local pub who are very keen.

obviously I have level 1 and the relevant meat hygiene etc, but tell me:

does it have to be sold in the skin? And if so, who then has to skin it, as I'm pretty sure if I offered them a red in its jacket they'd look at me a bit funny!

Can I supply it to the butcher they use for butchery (presumably only if they are a game dealer?)

am I allowed to butcher it at all?

is any of what I have suggested legal?

cheers

DS308
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    does it have to be sold in the skin? And if so, who then has to skin it, as I'm pretty sure if I offered them a red in its jacket they'd look at me a bit funny!
    Unless you are registered as a food business with your local authority, you may only sell it to the pub unprocessed, i.e. in the fur, properly tagged. This is the "trained hunter exemption".

Once you have sold it to them, and it is their property, on their premises, you could assist them with the skinning of their property, maybe also giving a demonstration of basic butchery of the carcase. They would be responsible for the legalities of all this, and whether it met the standards of their environmental health service inspector, particularly the premises in which it was done. It might be best if you became a temporary employee of theirs during this process, for which you will need to be paid a reasonable wage.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Can I supply it to the butcher they use for butchery (presumably only if they are a game dealer?)
    Yes you can supply it to their butcher (in the fur). The butcher does not have to be a game dealer (there is no such thing anymore, game dealing licences were abolished in England six years ago).

However there are strict regulations about butchers storing and processing large or small game, in fur or feather. Most butchers choose not to set up the separate larders and working areas etc. that are required, so would not be able to accept an unprocessed carcase. If their butcher is set up for this, it might be best just to sell it direct to them, and let them take their profit from the pub, instead of over-complicating things.

Once the butcher has paid you a realistic price for the carcase, and taken his reasonable profit for his skilled work, staff, premises, tools and overheads, the pub may decide that the overall cost is not so desirable. Indeed the butcher might give you a better price if he kept it for himself and sold it to the public instead.

To register yourself as a food business, see:

http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/caterers/startingup/#.Uh9zC9JJMmY

Table on page 4 here will tell you everything you have asked!
    http://food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/w...eguide0611.pdf
    You CAN sell to a local retailer such as your pub with a large game handling certificate under the primary producer exemption, but ONLY in its jacket. To sell it to them skinned, you would have to be registered as a food business. The same goes for selling it to your butcher as he is then selling direct to the final consumer.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by willyroe View Post
    My understanding is that it can be done ok. I know plenty of fathers who have rifles at home and their son(s) have an FAC at a different address (with or without firearms) with their fathers guns are on their FAC. I think as long as the police know the "predominant address" they are cool with it.

Not sure about the 6 month loan thing? I undertsood you could only "lend" a shotgun for up to 72 hrs without informing the plod so 6 months for a firearms seems generous? There is probably a difference between having a firearms on multiple certs and lending/borrowing firearms between people with the same calibre permissions on their certs.....
    ​Think you were responding to a different thread possibly.......

I would imagine with the rifle you've got, you could sell it as mince

Quote Originally Posted by bornfree View Post
    I would imagine with the rifle you've got, you could sell it as mince
    ​possibly so!