Have I gone for the wrong calibre?

If its deer legal it will kill deer if you shoot them in the right place. Buy the gun that feels right.

243 -easy to shoot and easy to shoot well. Lots of good ones around and ammo readily available every where. Pretty much all you need unless you are shooting lots of Sika and Red stags, but you are not.

Having been in a similar position not long ago, my advice would be go for the 243, take your time selecting the rifle that fits and at some time you will want a different calibre, but you will have a good rifle while you make up your mind and you will then be in a better position to decide which. I am at the stage of wanting to keep the 243, and deciding between 308 and 7-08.

Firstly why this talk of 100 grain bullets ?

Unless the OP is planning to take it to Scotland for large deer (where it might rightly be viewed askance), he may use the bullets for which it is optimised, e.g. 70-80 grains.

But if the primary purpose is to shoot deer (fallow or other), why settle for the absolute bare minimum legal calibre ?

In the UK the .243 is a crossover calibre. Its just about the maximum that will be authorised for fox alone, and it is the legal bare minimum for large deer.

Yes it is effective with suitable ammo and a well placed shot, but on the occasion when I had the opportunity of a large deer (not expected, we were set up with the .243 for small deer), my guide was emphatic that I must be absolutely sure of my shot placement. On subsequent outings we used a 30-06 and I think both of us felt much more confident.

As it happened I later took my first roebuck and and a muntjac with the 30-06, and I was impressed with the performance. Very clean kills, but with far less meat damage than the .243 used to create.

If the OP has the option to choose a larger calibre I think he should take it, nevermind the hassle. .270, .308 or 30-06 would be the obvious candidates.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with a .243 and I still have mine, a well placed shot will certainly do the job. I mainly shoot fallow with the occasional red and I prefer a little more kinetic energy - this is especially so if I'm taking someone out for their first deer. Any calibre which shoots between 120g and 150g bullets gives a little more latitude and a bit more hydraulic shock.

Despite the foregoing, I became disillusioned with my .243 T3 when a 87gr Hornady bullet failed to exit a fallow doe. It was a quartering shot that took out the top of the heart but broke up and didn't exit - hence no blood trail. Thankfully the deer went down after 30 yards, but since then I have gone over to 7mm-08 which I consider the ideal round (although I'd use the 30-06 on reds).
It's all down to personal choice and what you are confident in using.

Great caliber I shoot both 308 and 243 and have confidence in both just wonder where dodgyrog shot the fallow with 87 gr bullet?

Get the 243 for all the reasons given, build up your skills, kills, experience and permissions meanwhile test a few others and get on with it...

Dear Greenhout,
my advice based on many years of stalking and hunting in Africa with calibres from .243. 308, 300 win mag , .375 H&H, is to at least go for .308 if not .300 win.
the reason is the flexibility it will afford you in terms of bullet weight, so if you end up shooting big Fallow bucks or g to Scotland or elsewhere for Reds or Sika, you are more likely to dispatch the animal and reduce the possibility of wunding or the beast running a long way. You are unlikely to be given .300 win on your first application but .308 should be granted.
regards
​Munty

Hi I find the 243 good for everything from muntys to fallow low recoil amunition readily available I use geco 105gr and find with a well placed shot most deer drop on the spot a stalker friend recently took a client out with his 243 and dropped a 83kg fallow buck enough said

I was in exactly the same posting 6 months ago. I could only justify 243 to the fao for foxes but wanted to be getting practice in. Turns up with aolq which was a result. I spent 200 on a nice old husqvarna and spent another 80quid on the range checking different rounds and learning how it shoots. Have now shot a red stag at maybe 75m with my pal who is a stalker (note the estate rifle on hands there is 243) and my first solo deer, a fallow spiker at 180 yards. No problem with either. Get you 243 get used to it and be confident enough to know where your shot will end up. I am worried that you are starting off nervous that it's not man enough and I promise you that is the last thing you need to be worrying about when you pull the trigger first time on your own if you can't shake that feeling you might need a bigger gun, but as many on here much more experienced than me point out, it is perfectly adequate.

Is there one?????:stir:

There most certainly is!
FS21011_zps75af3815.jpg

Nothing wrong with the 243, had a number of them and shot an even greater number of deer with them albeit I don't have one anymore however do take note of enfieldspares advice. If you did go for another calibre stick to something not too far away from the 243.
I doubt it will be your first and last rifle though! Good luck!

No. It is a good calibre as it has little recoil in a standard weight rifle. But for short range do stick with "standard" velocity 100 grain loads and not either "Light Magnum" or those with plastic tipped bullets. However long term if a lead ban comes into force in the UK the 243 will be dead as I doubt any will stabilise a non-lead 100 grain bullet.

Back