variation (R93 barrel)

moses

I'm looking for some advice regarding a variation.

If I want to be able to purchase another barrel for a switch barrel rifle say in.243 what do I need to ask for on the form?

Am I requesting just a barrel?

Another thing I was wondering about is in the quarry conditions would it state "the 243 barrel will be used for the lawful shooting of Deer, Fox and Vermin" for example?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ATB
Moses

I have had items entered on my FAC along the lines of
".22lr rifle barrel"

Conditioning should be along the lines you laid out above - don't forget zeroing when listing your good reasons. Nice to be able to check sights on any land that is suitable.

Rgds

Ian

moses said:

Another thing I was wondering about is in the quarry conditions would it state "the 243 barrel will be used for the lawful shooting of Deer, Fox and Vermin" for example?

All police Firearms Licensing Depts have now been advised that they can use a far more workable and less restrictive condition.

Here's the detail courtesy of one of our shooting organisations:

The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) Firearms and Explosives Licensing Working Group (FELWG) has issued advice that supports Chapter 13.14 & 13.22 of the Home Office guidance. It advised police forces to allow larger calibre rifles to be used to take lesser species i.e. where the primary reason for possession e.g. deer stalking was established, all lesser species such as foxes and pests could then be shot.

This practice has been commonplace in Scotland for some time, and has not endangered public safety in any way. In June 2009 ACPO FELWG again advised forces of a new condition that can be used in place of the standard condition in Appendix 3 of the Home Office guidance. -

The (rifle/sound moderator/firearms/ammunition) shall be used for shooting (Named Principal Quarry Species) and any other lawful quarry, on land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated, and for zeroing on ranges, over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot. (Delete italics where appropriate)

This identifies the primary reason for use e.g. deer/fox control, then allows “other lawful quarry”. Certificate holders are invited to apply for this condition from their local licensing departments.

Any FAC holder who currently has a mishmash of conditioning with some rifles allowed for deer but not foxes or vermin etc., (this new condition will also cover wild boar by default), might want to consider contacting their local FLO with a view to having it revised.

With my Mauser M03 I applied not for an additional barrel but for a rifle.

The front page of my FAC refers to each calibre as a rifle with the reverse recording additional "rifles" as barrels.

Should you choose to replace your Blaser in the future with seperate rifles then it's a 1:1 swap.

Stan

Orion said:
moses said:

All police Firearms Licensing Depts have now been advised that they can use a far more workable and less restrictive condition.

Here's the detail courtesy of one of our shooting organisations:

The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) Firearms and Explosives Licensing Working Group (FELWG) has issued advice that supports Chapter 13.14 & 13.22 of the Home Office guidance. It advised police forces to allow larger calibre rifles to be used to take lesser species i.e. where the primary reason for possession e.g. deer stalking was established, all lesser species such as foxes and pests could then be shot.

This practice has been commonplace in Scotland for some time, and has not endangered public safety in any way. In June 2009 ACPO FELWG again advised forces of a new condition that can be used in place of the standard condition in Appendix 3 of the Home Office guidance. -

The (rifle/sound moderator/firearms/ammunition) shall be used for shooting (Named Principal Quarry Species) and any other lawful quarry, on land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated, and for zeroing on ranges, over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot. (Delete italics where appropriate)

This identifies the primary reason for use e.g. deer/fox control, then allows “other lawful quarry”. Certificate holders are invited to apply for this condition from their local licensing departments.

Any FAC holder who currently has a mishmash of conditioning with some rifles allowed for deer but not foxes or vermin etc., (this new condition will also cover wild boar by default), might want to consider contacting their local FLO with a view to having it revised.

I applied for this condition to be added to my .270 not so long ago with Met police.

They came back to me and refused saying that this was a recommendation and not legislation.

As this is a ACPO recommendation they said they had chosen not to adopt it and would not be doing so in future unless the home office guidance changed.

They have the home office guidance in a folder laminated and they use this to refer to every request that comes in.

They simply look through the calibre and quarry table and say yes or no depending on what the almighty guidance folder says.

I did try and argue the toss of how ridiculous that was, in that using something that is given to you as guidance and, guidance only to refuse any request was nonsense and that each decision should be taken on it's own merit etc.. but, it all gets a bit "computer says no".

ATB
Moses

Did they give it to you in writing and are you a member of BASC?

Having 'suffered' under the Met before I realise it might be an uphill struggle, but armed with both you might be able to mount a successful challenge

i bought a 308 blaser then swapped my pro hunter .243 for a .243 barrell for the r93.

the one for one came back with the slot for a .243 rifle, i added the barrell only theng got an additional variation for a .223 rifle.

the new licence came back with the .243 barrell listed separaetly, and when i tried to buy another stock and bolt to have 2 full blaser setups i couldnt without a variation to have another rifle. you used to be able to but stock and bolts freely but now they need to be listed. my stock and bolt dont even have serial numbers.

Orion said:
Did they give it to you in writing and are you a member of BASC?

Having 'suffered' under the Met before I realise it might be an uphill struggle, but armed with both you might be able to mount a successful challenge

There is a challenge in place at the moment and BASC are keeping me informed of the outcome.

They seem to think it will be favourable as there is a new boss of all the met inspectors and he is totally in favour of adopting the recommendation and is urging all inspectors to do so.

Based on the outcome of this case I'll be re-submiting my paper work.

ATB
Moses

Well done that man! Please post the outcome - it might give other's living within the Met area a hope that change is coming.

Orion said:
Well done that man! Please post the outcome - it might give other's living within the Met area a hope that change is coming.

Change is definitley coming.

The ACPO recommendation will be added to the home office guidance next year but, it would be nice to have it sorted sooner as I wish to be able to shoot all quarry with one rifle legally.

ATB
Moses

Bucksden,

Just picked up an additional Mauser M03 synthetic stock and bolt without any problem with my RFD (in Lincs). Sent to him by Open Seasons through Parcel Force. He sees no problem in supplying Blaser, Sauer or Mauser non barrels as parts. (indeed he doesn't record sale of expanding heads off "his records" but will enter them on my FAC if I want). I want in order to prove use, and therefore need.

Country way's, Country needs.

Lincs firearms are pragmatic on this. They only want to "account for the serial number". Indeed they took great relish in the fact that I wrote to them upon my return from South Africa in August to declare that there were zero Customs Officers on duty at Manchester and that I "persuaded" the baggage handler to hand over my rifles to me. Did this "posed" in front of a CCTV camera and mouthed our words to camera etc.

Stan

Moses

I just requested another calibre (.375), they put it on and i bought the barrel, although it hasn't been up for renewal since i bought the new barrel.

Smullery

Nothing has changed then !!!
In 2005, myself and and three mates also came back from South Africa through Manchester Airport, not only was there no Custom Officers about we didn't even have to convince the baggage handlers because our rifles came along with everybody else's luggage on the carousel.
I used the red phone at the customs office to explain that we had just returned with firearms to be checked back into the country and explained that they also had come through on the luggage carousel, only to be asked " are you sure it was firearms". How do you reply to that !!!? He told us there would be somebody there immediately, after waiting for twenty minutes we left.
We wrote letters to the Customs Office and to Manchester Police and were told it shouldn't have happened and they were looking into it.

Moose

Moose,

Two things here;

1. If you have say four calibres on your FAC you are entitled to acquire/hold four calibres/rifles as specified after procurement. The fact that some may be multi barrel isn't an issue. You can choose to buy one stock and bolt PLUS four barrels, or four of each. Magic number is one of each that you are allowed.

2. I work with my Firearms Office to get what I need, not what I desire. I want to shoot Boar in Poland next year and would like to have a go with my expanding ammo 9.3 x 62 on a range. I currently was not permitted as I have not shown need ( permitted FMJ). I now can. I have the ammo already as it was permitted to posses....

I haven't asked for anything I don't need at that moment but at every reprint I have had all the changes I need, gratis.

Stan

Back