Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most boring calibre

Most boring calibre

what calibre(s) would you NOT get, not because of their ballistic characteristics or ability to take game, but simply because they either are not 'in vogue' or seem boring to you...

very interstingly, despite appreciating the effectivenes,,,I could not bring myself to get a 6.5x55; not entirely sure why, maybe because my brothers in law and father all have one..but I just find them BOOOOOOOOOOOOORING...

to me an unaccurate is boring "only accurate rifles are interesting"
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

thread over

I wouldn't ever buy a .308, but I'm unable to give a very sensible explanation of this. Partly it's because it's really a recent military round and I just don't like to have anything to do with stuff designed to kill people, but of course that's insufficient since I'd have no problems using a 6.5x55 or .30-06. I wouldn't use 8x57IS because of its' Nazi associations. None of those things are "boring" though, they're just cultural hang-ups of mine.

More to the point, there are better rounds out there for stalking, the .308 is to a large extent popular because there's a hell of a lot of ammunition available for cheap, an indeed rifles in that calibre, all because of the military association, but that doesn't make it the best. In practice, it makes little difference.

I don't know, .308 just doesn't appeal to me at all. I wouldn't ever consider it. I can't even be bothered to argue to case properly, I'm not even sure that could be done. So I suppose that in that sense, I find it really boring. So there you go: 308 - the cartridge of dullness.

This is an unexpectedly difficult topic by the way. "Discuss at length something you don't care about at all".

+1 on 6.5x55 cos everyone goes on how fabulous they are, with no recoil and huge range if bullets ............snore, snore

.308 not sure why it's just really vanilla to me never fancied one !

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I wouldn't ever buy a .308, but I'm unable to give a very sensible explanation of this. Partly it's because it's really a recent military round and I just don't like to have anything to do with stuff designed to kill people, but of course that's insufficient since I'd have no problems using a 6.5x55 or .30-06. I wouldn't use 8x57IS because of its' Nazi associations. None of those things are "boring" though, they're just cultural hang-ups of mine.

More to the point, there are better rounds out there for stalking, the .308 is to a large extent popular because there's a hell of a lot of ammunition available for cheap, an indeed rifles in that calibre, all because of the military association, but that doesn't make it the best. In practice, it makes little difference.

I don't know, .308 just doesn't appeal to me at all. I wouldn't ever consider it. I can't even be bothered to argue to case properly, I'm not even sure that could be done. So I suppose that in that sense, I find it really boring. So there you go: 308 - the cartridge of dullness.

This is an unexpectedly difficult topic by the way. "Discuss at length something you don't care about at all".
    The .308 Winchester was introduced in 1952, two years prior to the NATO 7.62X51 .

.308 Winchester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post

True, why buy a .308 which are cheap and plentiful, as is the ammo, when you can immerse yourself in the tingling of the senses that can only be experienced by endlessly chasing backwards and forward across the length and breadth of the land to buy, say, 7mm-08 ammo which is almost exactly the same thing only slightly smaller diameter, for multiples of the cost. Edge of the seat stuff. <dons tin hat>
    There's a reason why there are so many Mondeos on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    True, why buy a .308 which are cheap and plentiful, as is the ammo, when you can immerse yourself in the tingling of the senses that can only be experienced by endlessly chasing backwards and forward across the length and breadth of the land to buy, say, 7mm-08 ammo which is almost exactly the same thing only slightly smaller diameter, for multiples of the cost. Edge of the seat stuff. <dons tin hat>
    if u r comparing .308s to mondeos, i am deffo not getting one! lol

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    No need for a tin hat! I could try and answer this whilst knowing full well that my choice is only marginally different from most of the others, with a few tweaks here and there that I convinced myself mattered to me. But in the end, it's just that I fancied that rifle, and that cartridge, and that the combination works for me. Or in other words, it isn't boring! I mean anyone can buy a popular, widely available and proven calibre (or a Ford Mondeo). But what's the fun in that?

I don't have a Mondeo either. I have a Network Railcard and a bicycle.