Reeves @ RBSS

Cris

Just wondered if people use Reeves as a supplier as I dropped in there today needing a bit of help sorting out a part for rifle I'm renovating as another well known Internet supplier had cocked up. I knew he would be more expensive but the attitude was a bit of a surprise when I questioned the price being nearly double. Ok it was only a small part at £32 as opposed to £18 plus postage.

I do use him for ammunition and find him competitive on it and probably still will as he is local.

I buy my ammo off them as they are the only place that sells Geco.

Attitude can be a bit strange in that place. I once walked in during a snow storm asked for 60 rounds of ammo. To which the 4 stalkers decked out in real tree started throwing around chippy comments like, "do you know something we don't lad."

The funny thing was I had shot 2 deer that morning and still had enough time to shower and get changed so I would not look like a **** when I went shopping. So in answer to their question, Yes I clearly did.

Just wondered if people use Reeves as a supplier as I dropped in there today needing a bit of help sorting out a part for rifle I'm renovating as another well known Internet supplier had cocked up. I knew he would be more expensive but the attitude was a bit of a surprise when I questioned the price being nearly double. Ok it was only a small part at £32 as opposed to £18 plus postage. I do use him for ammunition and find him competitive on it and probably still will as he is local.

I won't buy anything from them ever again.

After my experience of buying a used rifle off them and throwing £1500 his way, he then wanted me to pay for his time to wrap the rifle up so that it could be shipped!!!!

Rifle was described as mint which.......... it wasn't, I won't go on.............

Can't really comment, never been on their premises, only dealings I have had with them was a rush job to buy a set of optilock mounts, there were plenty who could get them for me, but they were one of the few who had them in stock and were prepared to rush them to me, arrived the following day , considering I am at the other end of the country, I could not fault the service.

It did cost a bit mind.

I was there on friday morning and found them to be very helpful.

or was that because i was there with my boss's son ??

bob.

I believe it was the owner himself. Guess we all have our off days but left me a little perplexed.

I had a trip down there a while ago with a friend, we both had a new gun apiece, plus a scope for my mate.
It did seeem a bit of a strange set up. It was the boss we saw!!!
A second hand set of optilocks were more than new.:eek:

Considering he sold two new guns there was certainly no favours done on the deal.
We only traveled so far because my mate had dealt with him in the past, and had a friend to so see nearly next door.

Never again!!!

I like to make my own mind up about people but I have to say after experiencing reeves for myself I have come away shocked!

Being glared at from the door as I parked in front of the shop was strange. Being met and asked 'can I help you' as if by bouncers on the door. Explaining I was there to collect a rifle I had a deposit on didn't change the attitude either. Having had a good look over the rifle I was told he was hoping I would find something wrong with it so he could sell it to someone else for more (it was advertised at a good price but he didn't seem very happy about it). When I asked if I could mount my scope on the rifle whilst I was there he didn't seem very happy about that either. Once paperwork was done I thought I would ask again as the shop was still empty - takes me 10 minutes. As I was finishing customers started coming into the shop and the guy started hovering and moving things on the bench. He then feigned a polite request to have his table back to show his customers guns although they seemed only to be browsing.

Although I was visiting the shop whilst stalking nearby I had made the effort to change into a clean shirt, trousers and shoes and expected to be treated with some curtesy. I might as well have tramped in there with muddy boots on. I'm sure it was one of his cheaper sales but its my opinion that good service should be given no matter how much you are spending.

I'm not naming names on here and to be fair there was another chap there who I had a chat to but I can honestly say I've never felt so unwelcome in a gunshop. I know reeves are on the forum so I hope this is read and future customers are saved from being treated the same way.

Sadly this is not an uncommon theme with gunshops one reason I hate going although a sister shop to my local were very helpful offering a coffee and a chat .come on reeves your customer relations need improving get on a course !

i do use them now and then ,never had any probs with them
but the owner can come over a tad strange and a little impatient

i had dealings with them once before at a game fair many years ago i was after a schmidt 8x56 and i walked into there stand and after having a look around i asked them politly if they had the said scope only to be meet with the cocky b@stard turning round and saying "what like this" as he reached under the desk and producing a 8x56 his atitude stunk but it soon changed as my atitude towards him changed as i cockly turnt to him and said "no not like that i want a 30mm tube" and as i started to walk off he realising he was about to lose a sale started to offer me a deal on the scope. i did buy it in the end as it was going for £200 which was a good price back then to be fair but i will never deal with them again

He was fine until he moved into the barn at Royal Berks... I think the location has gone to his head a bit

EDIT - I only bought ammo from him, so it was transactional and not for looking for advice. Was given some nonetheless until I responded with a few bits of "stuff what I know" and it all calmed down. Thinking back, he was a bit of a c*ck, so I retract my comment above!!

Last edited:
I like to make my own mind up about people but I have to say after experiencing reeves for myself I have come away shocked!

Being glared at from the door as I parked in front of the shop was strange. Being met and asked 'can I help you' as if by bouncers on the door. Explaining I was there to collect a rifle I had a deposit on didn't change the attitude either. Having had a good look over the rifle I was told he was hoping I would find something wrong with it so he could sell it to someone else for more (it was advertised at a good price but he didn't seem very happy about it). When I asked if I could mount my scope on the rifle whilst I was there he didn't seem very happy about that either. Once paperwork was done I thought I would ask again as the shop was still empty - takes me 10 minutes. As I was finishing customers started coming into the shop and the guy started hovering and moving things on the bench. He then feigned a polite request to have his table back to show his customers guns although they seemed only to be browsing.

Although I was visiting the shop whilst stalking nearby I had made the effort to change into a clean shirt, trousers and shoes and expected to be treated with some curtesy. I might as well have tramped in there with muddy boots on. I'm sure it was one of his cheaper sales but its my opinion that good service should be given no matter how much you are spending.

I'm not naming names on here and to be fair there was another chap there who I had a chat to but I can honestly say I've never felt so unwelcome in a gunshop. I know reeves are on the forum so I hope this is read and future customers are saved from being treated the same way.

I know for a fact that the school encourages (with the use of obstacles and signs) people to park in the main car park for the simple reason that the Schools director likes the area been the school and shop to be pedestrianised. So it's a huge effort to get outside the shop and past the wooden bollards!! Plus the director moans at Simon!

also given the fact they sell very high end rifles/shotguns I think it's a bit cheeky to ask to put together your gun! Imagine if you own a car, went to the main dealer and bought a part to then ask 'whilst they were quiet' if you could use their ramp to fit it??!!

i know Simon well, I've never had any trouble with him.

I also think at the end of the day, if you are quoted a price and don't like it - don't buy it. Simple. Don't buy it then moan about it.

T

I buy my ammo off them as they are the only place that sells Geco.

Attitude can be a bit strange in that place. I once walked in during a snow storm asked for 60 rounds of ammo. To which the 4 stalkers decked out in real tree started throwing around chippy comments like, "do you know something we don't lad."

The funny thing was I had shot 2 deer that morning and still had enough time to shower and get changed so I would not look like a **** when I went shopping. So in answer to their question, Yes I clearly did.

Hows it going with Really Wild Eggy??

Your comments are based on some of the weekend warriors that get in all gun shops is it not?!

​T

I think your comments on reeves leave a lot to be desired I know simon well and know that he will go out of his way to help customers ,so your opening comments to complain about the parking just outside the shop which is clearly marked no parking is to do with the school needing access to the stores next door to the shop this parking policy is dictated by the school not the shop,
there is after all 2 car parks on the school grounds with plenty of parking.

You then go on to complain about the service after being sold a gun at what you quote as being a good price and then being allowed to use the bench in the shop to fit your own scope I cant see many other gun shops allowing you to do this and you think their service is poor??!! by the sounds of it you didnt have a lot to complain about

Last edited:
I know for a fact that the school encourages (with the use of obstacles and signs) people to park in the main car park for the simple reason that the Schools director likes the area been the school and shop to be pedestrianised. So it's a huge effort to get outside the shop and past the wooden bollards!! Plus the director moans at Simon!

also given the fact they sell very high end rifles/shotguns I think it's a bit cheeky to ask to put together your gun! Imagine if you own a car, went to the main dealer and bought a part to then ask 'whilst they were quiet' if you could use their ramp to fit it??!!

i know Simon well, I've never had any trouble with him.

I also think at the end of the day, if you are quoted a price and don't like it - don't buy it. Simple. Don't buy it then moan about it.

T

I think your comments on reeves leave a lot to be desired I know simon well and know that he will go out of his way to help customers ,so your opening comments to complain about the parking just outside the shop which is clearly marked no parking is to do with the school needing access to the stores next door to the shop this parking policy is dictated by the school not the shop,

You then go on to complain about the service after being sold a gun at what you quote as being a good price and then being allowed to use the bench in the shop to fit your own scope I cant see many other gun shops allowing you to do this and you think their service is poor??!! by the sounds of it you didnt have a lot to complain about

I wondered why I was being stared at so I had a good look around. I parked in one of the few spaces left in front of the shop between two other cars. Could only see one sign on a door saying 'do not park in front of this door, access required' - and I wasn't.

I have helped in a busy gunshop before with similar space issues to Reeves so I know the challenges. We would very rarely say no to a customer, even down to helping problem solve and zero scopes on air rifles that youngsters brought in (whether bought from the shop or not). The reason I was asked to come in was so we could continue saying yes !! I work in the private service industry so I think I am qualified to comment on etiquette and service! A garage isn't really comparable imo and I'm not sure when I complained at the price Tommo?!

I'm only adding my voice to a thread started by someone who obviously also had similar experience of poor service. If he was just having a bad day then it will be reflected by the balance of comments in this thread won't it?

Last edited:
all I can say tackleberry 270 is that I have always found simon helpful and always willing to help customers out if asked to he will fit scopes for customers and if time allows help them to zero their rifles I to have worked in the a customer services industry in managerial positions and I know that no matter how hard you try you can't please everybody all the time

all I can say tackleberry 270 is that I have always found simon helpful and always willing to help customers out if asked to he will fit scopes for customers and if time allows help them to zero their rifles I to have worked in the a customer services industry in managerial positions and I know that no matter how hard you try you can't please everybody all the time

Well I hope for his sake the thread is balanced out with the satisfied customers. Even if he made a mistake when he listed the rifle price is still doesn't justify the attitude I received.

Bought a rifle and scope at Greenfields, Salisbury.

"Would you like us to fit the scope sir?"

"Yes, please"

Brought back the rifle with scope fitted.

How come RBSS didn't offer to fit the scope for the said customer? Most gun shops would in my experience.

Back