Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much food for a springer pup

How much food for a springer pup

Hi people just off your heads who have owned dogs I have an 8 week old springer I'm just wondering what other people did ie 3/4 meals a day and how much I don't want to over feed her ???

Thanks
    ​jon

What are you feeding? A good quality puppy feed offered either ad lib or 4 small meals per day until 12 weeks. At that age they self regulate and as they are growing so quickly no risk of getting fat.

The bag will offer a feeding guide. From 12 weeks you can reduce to 3 meals per day.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Depends on food brand but probably about 50g four times a day.

I fed my cocker a handful of Beta puppy softened in water four times a day initially, you will get to know how much to feed by whether or not it leaves any.
    I reduced it to three times a day after a couple of months and fed a little more as she was growing. After six months try going to two larger feeds a day.
    My dogs are always split fed, half their ration in the morning, half in the evening.

There is no hard and fast rule as dogs differ so you will have to monitor and adjust as necessary. If you find there are leftovers to begin with you can assume you are feeding too much. Little and often is the way to go until you get to know the behaviour of the pup. Try to take up any uneaten food after fifteen or twenty minutes, less time as the dog gets older, to avoid the dog becoming accustomed to always having food down to go back to. This will encourage the dog that it should eat it's fill in one go before it's pack leader (you) takes it away.
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.

I always feed a pup 4 times a day with more food than they need. Later i feed 2 times a day again more food than they can eat. As adults there is always food in there bowls 24/7 They never fight over food and never get fat. Some days they will eat every thing and somedays next to nothing.

Having bread numerous litters of Springers i recomend that you ad lib with a large bowl of Beta puppy and top it up when necessary. The pup will self regulate and eat as and when it requires keep this up until six months old then go onto Beta junior until twelve months old then wean off and split your final feed to twice a day. Always have plenty of water available at all times. Hope this helps.

Kind regards Jimbo

Agree with all above about 4 times/day, reduced to 3 times/day. After 12 months I feed once a day, in the evening, after their evening walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    I always feed a pup 4 times a day with more food than they need. Later i feed 2 times a day again more food than they can eat. As adults there is always food in there bowls 24/7 They never fight over food and never get fat. Some days they will eat every thing and somedays next to nothing.
    I'd have very fat labs with ad lib food ,I have a 11 week pup and am feeding 3 times a day as it suits the system here far better pup is ready for meal and I find they woof it down well and all fed seperately .i don't like seeing pups with huge fat bellies .we all have different methods and find one that suits you and your home .
    they are all different but with the way I do it if a dog is off its food I soon know about it would you know if it was adlib ?
    Regards
    ​norma

All depends on the food you feed 4 times a day with the first feed I usually feed my pups scrambled eggs or cereal and the other meals usually a good puppy food. The dogs size can be regulated with exercise and feed as they get oldeer but hold back on the exercise till it gets a bit older. Good luck with it and I hope it gives as much enjoyment as my dogs give me

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    I'd have very fat labs with ad lib food ,I have a 11 week pup and am feeding 3 times a day as it suits the system here far better pup is ready for meal and I find they woof it down well and all fed seperately .i don't like seeing pups with huge fat bellies .we all have different methods and find one that suits you and your home .
    they are all different but with the way I do it if a dog is off its food I soon know about it would you know if it was adlib ?
    Regards
    ​norma
    Norma the op asked how to feed a Springer not a Lab. Labs are slugs compaired to Springer's and are more greedy therefore they do not burn the callories like a Springer and become fat. As for not knowing that your dog was off it's food of course you would as the bowl would not be going down. Simples. As said i add libbed all my litters and never had a fat Springer.

Jimbo