Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swazi thar

Swazi thar

As per title wanted swazi thar xl

Beware of the knitted close fitting cuffs if this is still a feature. Your wrists will become very hot and clammy after a short while, and you can't loosen them to ventilate your arms. Then, when it rains, all the water runs down the sleeve onto the cuff soaking it. THEN when it blows, the wicking action acts to refrigerate your wrists by evaporation. Great Goretex material but very poor design (unless they've changed it). Oh, and the cuffs take ages to dry off after the rest of the jacket is dry. I've got a Swazi jacket bought 2008 and I never wear it. Expensive mistake, especially bought in NZ..

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by blaven View Post
    Beware of the knitted close fitting cuffs if this is still a feature. Your wrists will become very hot and clammy after a short while, and you can't loosen them to ventilate your arms. Then, when it rains, all the water runs down the sleeve onto the cuff soaking it. THEN when it blows, the wicking action acts to refrigerate your wrists by evaporation. Great Goretex material but very poor design (unless they've changed it). Oh, and the cuffs take ages to dry off after the rest of the jacket is dry. I've got a Swazi jacket bought 2008 and I never wear it. Expensive mistake, especially bought in NZ..
    The design has changed. My Tahr has neoprene/elastane cuffs with the ability to loosen or tighten them using Velcro tabs.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I'm glad the've seen sense and changed the cuff design. Do they still get soaked in the rain though?
    I was out in the driving rain on Skye today on the quadbike and my pockets were soaked on the inside after 3 miles.
    There are not even any drainage holes in the bottoms.
    Do you find the Tahr takes ages to dry once soaked?

Have no fear Blaven, the new ones still wick the water up. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't used them in anything other than fair weather. I don't use mine because of this poor design. I notice however on the latest version that they have done away altogether with the neoprene cuff and have just gone for goretex. I had several email exchanges with Swazi about this issue and they admitted they had dropped the ball on the design by using neoprene cuffs which soak up water like a sponge.

They have now as I say stopped using the neo cuffs altogether.

Sorry to hi-jack the op's thread but hopefully it has saved someone from making a costly mistake (although I can't obviously comment on the new new version which doesn't have the neoprene cuff material).
    Last edited by jon2; 02-09-2013 at 19:52.

Can't say I agree, mine has the neoprene wrists and I really like them alot, never found them to really soak up water like a sponge in normal wear. Neoprene will hold water when immersed its wet suit material but its never made me cold, it's wetsuit material it holds onto it when soaked forming a warming layer that's why wetsuits are made from it. In rain I found water generally just runs off them. To add I never got mine for stalking (although it does get used in foul weather) it was bought for canoeing during several expeds in article Sweden and many hundreds of miles in the canoe it never missed a beat. Maybe like so much it's a lot of personal preference, but I'm very happy with mine and managed to pick it up cheap (Sub 100) of evil bay bnwt so it's worth a look there if your still after one

@ Jon2. Interesting that you also have sent them emails about this problem re: cuffs. I was so disappointed with the jacket,(see my post in What's the worst bit of kit you've bought?), I contacted them and politely made recomendations for its improvement. Got a very pleasant letter back as you'd expect fom a Kiwi, but very non-commital. My son's in NZ so I took the jacket back to them and got them to make proper sleeves with no bloody tight cuffs at my expense.More expense and I still hate the jacket, its so unforgiving. I was wearing it today in the sheep pens, and the pockets still have'nt dried out after yesterday's rain. Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!
    I'm thinking Swazi's claim to have "the world's most durable clothing" is justified because its hanging on a peg at home all the time while I wear something more functional and comfortable.
    Last edited by blaven; 03-09-2013 at 19:35.

Hi lads so is the new swazi thar pro not worth a look at cheers all Neil

hi neil I have the swazi wapiti which is like the tahr only it has a zip I also have the bib and brace trousers. I would say if you look after them they are very hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by blaven View Post
    @ Jon2. Interesting that you also have sent them emails about this problem re: cuffs. I was so disappointed with the jacket,(see my post in What's the worst bit of kit you've bought?), I contacted them and politely made recomendations for its improvement. Got a very pleasant letter back as you'd expect fom a Kiwi, but very non-commital. My son's in NZ so I took the jacket back to them and got them to make proper sleeves with no bloody tight cuffs at my expense.More expense and I still hate the jacket, its so unforgiving. I was wearing it today in the sheep pens, and the pockets still have'nt dried out after yesterday's rain. Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!
    I'm thinking Swazi's claim to have "the world's most durable clothing" is justified because its hanging on a peg at home all the time while I wear something more functional and comfortable.
    why don,t you sell it to biglad if you dislike it so much