Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ricochet from a .308???????

Ricochet from a .308???????

I was out this morning after a fallow, and as luck would have it, I bagged not one, but three in about 20 seconds one after the other! Result.
    However, on the third shot, a high neck front on the deer went down on the spot as you would expect, but what I didn't expect was the round to ricochet and ping off somewhere over the top of me and into the wood behind

i have never experienced a .308 doing that, and hope I don't again! It was feral 150 grain soft nose that I use all the time. Initially I thought the round must have exited the neck and hit a stone in the field......nope, no exit wound at all, just a small entry wound and that was all.

​anyone else ever had this happen, certainly made me stop and think for a second!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

The more you shoot the more funny things happen. I've seen 6.5 & 308 bounce off shoulders. Not off a neck yet though.
    edi

I've never heard of that happening from a neck shot but bullets do funny things sometimes so it doesn't surprise me

It was prob some anti shooting at you with a rimmy lol
    In all seriousness I've never seen it happen but have seen .308 power shock ricochet as I use 180gr all the time in my blaser and have had them do some weird things but always after or in the process of killing whatever they hit I find them great.
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

Can you even be sure that the bullet didn't fail and break up before reaching the target and what bounced back was a fragment after striking the deer? the bottom line is you will never know but it shows how there is always a risk to the shooter even when all circumstances and conditions are good.

When I applied for sect 5 authorisation it was the risk of ricochet at close range when dispatching a wounded deer that featured highly in the submission I made to the police which I feel is a real risk. You don't expect that risk to come from a shot taken at normal stalking distances though...

Expanding ammunition fired at centrefire velocity's are not prone to ricocheting, but it can and does happen.
    .22 LR must be the worst culprit for ricochets.

I have heard bone frags sound like that too.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    I have heard bone frags sound like that too.
    Never thought of that before but I can believe it.

If you have an entry and no exit it sounds strange that a bullet would enter, do its job, fragment then exit via the same hole and travel back along almost its same trajectory? Not saying it didn't as very strange things happen but it would be interesting to see what's inside when skinned?
    Please let us know.
    I found a full 150 grain federal .308 round (deformed) in the neck of a red stag when skinning. It had entered and not exited.
    Wingy

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    I was out this morning after a fallow, and as luck would have it, I bagged not one, but three in about 20 seconds one after the other! Result.
    However, on the third shot, a high neck front on the deer went down on the spot as you would expect, but what I didn't expect was the round to ricochet and ping off somewhere over the top of me and into the wood behind

i have never experienced a .308 doing that, and hope I don't again! It was feral 150 grain soft nose that I use all the time. Initially I thought the round must have exited the neck and hit a stone in the field......nope, no exit wound at all, just a small entry wound and that was all.

​anyone else ever had this happen, certainly made me stop and think for a second!
    All rounds can ricochet!
    Take a 7.62 (308) tracer round (which I've fired many of) they bounce all over the place even though they are or become a 'hollow point' albeit not from the same end as a soft point/expanding bullet but will still deform and be less likely to ricochet than say a FMJ which you may expect to ricochet. Additionally I would never like to determine or assume where a ricocheting round will go . . . especially as having been hit on a couple of occasions in the forehead and the chest from 'returning rounds' I fired on a CQB range!
    ​Just a thought.
    Last edited by The deer man; 31-08-2013 at 15:00.