Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hmr

Established Poster

Hmr

Have the 17 HMR ammunition problems been corrected, or are there still issues.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodwink View Post
    Have the 17 HMR ammunition problems been corrected, or are there still issues.
    Winchester has advertized that they have toughened up their case but it maybe a year before you see that stuff. I'd still view all HMR with some suspicion.~Muir

What problems?
    I have fired over 3k rounds through mine in the last year.....not had any issues, just a lot of dead rabbits!

+1 to FF.

​Mine prefers 20gn CCI and I have never had an issue in 5000+ rounds.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Quote Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
    What problems?
    I have fired over 3k rounds through mine in the last year.....not had any issues, just a lot of dead rabbits!
    I fired 10K through mine before running into bad ammo. It's luck of the draw.
    Split necks. Split Shoulders. Squib loads: Any guesses why Winchester it touting it's new designed HMR brass as stronger and more ductile?? ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I fired 10K through mine before running into bad ammo. It's luck of the draw.
    Split necks. Split Shoulders. Squib loads: Any guesses why Winchester it touting it's new designed HMR brass as stronger and more ductile?? ~Muir
    I beleive Winchester has moved its production of its HMR ammo to one of its own factorys (previously i beleive all HMR were made in the same factory regardless of brand) My local RFD now only stocks Winchester and when you examine the fired cases you can visibly see the brass is a tad thicker. As yet no spit necks or any of the other problems experienced previously.

Established Poster
    Thanks for the replies, I have one on my ticket but haven't purchased yet (18 months) as I saw a couple of broken guns through dodgy ammo and didn't fancy the same. I have thought about changing to the 17 hornet but don't like the savage, CZ are taking there time, and the finish of those I have seen wasn't that good. So I think I am looking for a CZ 16 inch Hmr.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun22/250 View Post
    I beleive Winchester has moved its production of its HMR ammo to one of its own factorys (previously i beleive all HMR were made in the same factory regardless of brand) My local RFD now only stocks Winchester and when you examine the fired cases you can visibly see the brass is a tad thicker. As yet no spit necks or any of the other problems experienced previously.
    Winchester was the first contractee to get a bad LOT of ammunition from CCI/Hornady back 5 or 6 years ago and they instituted an expensive recall. They did move their plant and have made 17HMR for a while. Recently they have run ads showing cut-away's of their brass and it's new reinforcements. Looks like Winchester will be the safe bet for HMR if you believe the ads.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by hoodwink View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I have one on my ticket but haven't purchased yet (18 months) as I saw a couple of broken guns through dodgy ammo and didn't fancy the same. I have thought about changing to the 17 hornet but don't like the savage, CZ are taking there time, and the finish of those I have seen wasn't that good. So I think I am looking for a CZ 16 inch Hmr.
    I handled a CZ 17 Hornet at the SHOT Show this year in Las Vegas. It was finished no differently than any other CZ I've handled. I think you're just trying to talk yourself into a rifle that is readily available... (Available probably because the crappy ammo is still floating around ) I'd wait out the 17 Hornet if you are inclined to a CF rifle. It will be a better rifle all around. ~Muir

Any idea when that's going to be available approximately Muir?