CZ 452 American

adjman

I've just purchased a CZ 452 American in .22LR with a walther illuminated reticle scope and moderator. I've been having a look at it when I got it home and noticed the barrel is touching the fore-end on the right hand side.

I tried the bank note trick down the barrel and it gets stuck where it is touching.

If I very gently ease the barrel to the left I can get a bank note all the way down to the chamber area of the barrel which leads me to believe that this barrel should be free-floating.

Can anyone confirm this is the case, and if so, should I just loosen off the action screws and adjust the action until the barrel is clear of the wood all the way down and then tighten back up?

Thanks

Adam

I had same thing with my cz. All I done was took it back to my gun smith and he sorted it for me. Or you could do it your self, just take stock off and gently rub it with sand paper then fit stock and retry. just keep doing it until bank note clears all the way. you may want to use a small round piece of wood to wrap sandpaper round.

mine was same a cz American also... I just removed stock gave it a rub in area with sand paper and remember to restain or varnish/ oil the sanded area to stop water getting in and bugg*ring it
as a note I found mine wouldn't group wortha sh!t.... upon inspection my old man found a very slight "lip" just on the crown... must have been done on a Monday morning job.

don't laff but actually dremel with a soft pad attachement till the lip disappeared.... shot on shot after that with Winchester subs...!!

since had barrel cut right down and re-crowned .

brilliant rifles love mine

paul

I had same thing with my cz. All I done was took it back to my gun smith and he sorted it for me. Or you could do it your self, just take stock off and gently rub it with sand paper then fit stock and retry. just keep doing it until bank note clears all the way. you may want to use a small round piece of wood to wrap sandpaper round.

Good advice, I had to do this too.

atb Tim

Sand paper wrapped around a deepwell socket from your tool chest works well to open up a barrel channel in a stock.

​HTH...

or...slacken the front screw.
see if you can centre the barrel and retighten

common problem with barrels where the action has room to move before tightening

Thanks for all the advice chaps, I shall have a go at just slackening the screw and re-aligning and then if that doesn't sort it I shall head to the workshop with some dowel and sandpaper. Thanks also for the reminder about re-varnish/re-staining the wood afterwards.

Seems to be an ongoing problem with cz, I think the guy responsible for adjusting the barrel channel cutter must be cross eyed.
​My 25 yearold 222 was the same when new

Thanks for all the advice chaps, needed sanding down in the end - used a piece of copper pipe with sandpaper wrapped around to gently sand down the channel and then carefully cleaned out the wood work before applying some waterproof varnish to the sanded area. Left it to dry and then re-fitted the barrel and now it is floating as it should and I am able to wrap a bank note round the barrel and slide it all the way to the breech. Now I just need to find somewhere nearby to test it out and see how it groups :)

When you do go out, remember to take your tools - with a newly floated barrel, groups can sometimes be improved by adjusting the tension of the screws on the stock.

Back