Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Signal crayfish

Signal crayfish

Hi gents while recovering from an accident and having a lot if time on my hands my thoughts have been towards my stomach lol a friend of mine used to trap crayfish nearby and I fancied getting some myself I just wondered if anybody here does so and if there were and restrictions removing invasive crayfish from a river?
    Atb jim
    Last edited by jimbo1984; 31-08-2013 at 13:48.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    Hi gents while recovering from an accident and having a lot if time on my hands my thighs have been towards my stomach lol a friend of mine used to trap crayfish nearby and I fancied getting some myself I just wondered if anybody here does so and if there were and restrictions removing invasive crayfish from a river?
    Atb jim
    You will need a license from the Environment Agency, who will want to know where you are going to trap them.

Environment Agency - Apply for a consent to trap non-native crayfish

​willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Hi Jim i have been trapping signal crays for a long time now and rightly or wrongly believe that it is illegal if caught to return them. Always had permission on the waters I trap but not sure about any licence restrictions. All I know is they taste good! Good luck with your recovery atb John

Been told they are very tasty

Having the landowners permission is of course necessary, but so is an EA license. I know many people will ignore this (as they do with fishing licences, TV licences, etc) but the reason it's there is to ensure non-target species are not caught.

If you catch non-native crayfish it is illegal to release them.

More details here: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk..._users_pdf.pdf

willie_gunn

Thanks for the replies gents I'll look into the licensing , an older gentleman used to trap them close to here but he's passed away so I'm not too sure of the exact location but from what I gather they're pretty widespread

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    Thanks for the replies gents I'll look into the licensing , an older gentleman used to trap them close to here but he's passed away so I'm not too sure of the exact location but from what I gather they're pretty widespread
    They are indeed widespread (and tasty) but if you check the first link I posted you will see that getting a license in the North is likely to be more problematic than in the South

willie_gunn

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    They are indeed widespread (and tasty) but if you check the first link I posted you will see that getting a license in the North is likely to be more problematic than in the South

willie_gunn
    Ah yes so it seems still I suppose I can try for nowt
    thanks for the info Willie much appreciated
    ​jim

The damned things are widespread in Devon, but they don't like acidic rivers thank god.
    Get a licence and catch and eat as many as you can, just make sure you don't kill our native crayfish, if there are any left that is!
    Good luck and get well soon.
    Cheers
    ​Richard

i catch quite a few and yes they are tasty but they are also a lot of hard work shelling them as you only get a tiny peice of meat from each crayfish tail but if you are going to give it a go this year you will have have to act fast as they go dormant in the winter, traps are readily avalible on-line and a peice of fish (mackrel generaly) has always worked well as bait for me good luck