Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Sika Stag of the Season

First Sika Stag of the Season

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	night track.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	336.3 KB 
ID:	31965

A guest shot this stag at 8.45pm on Thursday, first of the season. It ran off after taking the bullet from a 270 in the shoulder (so much for this so called 'pinning deer') not that that was the deliberate intention, just where it struck. It took off and couldn't be found on initial search and no blood or hair could be seen in the poor light.

I went back about an hour later with the dog and she had her first track in the dark with me wearing a head-torch.

She found a small piece of bone on the track and then indicated hair on the top of a rabbit netting fence and was desperate to get over. The stag was lying about 20m further on in cover. It had ran no more than 100m. It went 140lbs on the hook before the head and cape came off as the guest is having it shoulder mounted, definitely an older stag past its best but good weight in the antler. Should be a nice trophy given the colours of its coat, sorry as the night shot does not really show that...

exellent Brian glad to see Whiskey coming on real well, nice sika as well atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Nice one, and it pays to have a good dog with Sika. They never give in that's for sure.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Nice one Brian and well done Whiskey. Looking forward to getting up there.

Handsome pair sounds a good dog I bet it makes you proud!

Well done Brian and well done whiskey, excellent team work that's what it's all about, I know its not her first find but I bet you had a huge grin?!!

Regards, Jez
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    Handsome pair sounds a good dog I bet it makes you proud!
    Very pleased with her. Can't claim these tracks are difficult for her, more interesting as I am learning with her, never having had a scenthound but luckily I have a few very experienced friends to keep me right.

what she is very good at is stalking with her. Walks well to heel and stops and sits without command when I stop to spy, indicates deer in front very well with a raised head and obvious alertness suddenly. Needs to grow up a bit though as still a lot if puppy attitude in her!

Quote Originally Posted by straightbetweentheeyes View Post
    Well done Brian and well done whiskey, excellent team work that's what it's all about, I know its not her first find but I bet you had a huge grin?!!

Regards, Jez
    More from the point of view it was at night Jez and that's a knew experience for her. We were confident the stag would be dead otherwise it would have waited to the morning, ruined carcass or not...

wow
    hardy brutes..
    yer dog sounds like a right asset to you and a'the best with her and yer future...
    will have to get sorted and get myself some sika stalking booked....

never seems to be enough time..........
    paul