Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colouring Roe Antler.

Colouring Roe Antler.

Hiya, Got this buck in May,( middle one) it was almost out of velvet, and before I cut the skull I want to colour it...

I've no idea how to do it, apart from the furniture scratch pens I have...I've heard about dipping it in tea etc...but...dont want to completely ruin it..

Any info gratefully accepted...

Thanks in advance..

Last edited by Norrie1956; 31-08-2013 at 22:30.

A solution of Potassium Permanganate with a small paint brush, coat until the desired colour is reached - DO NOT get any on the skull.

As above.

There are commercial products available but most members here seem to choose the PP method. Try a search here as there are plenty of threads that deal with it.
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    A solution of Potassium Permanganate with a small paint brush, coat until the desired colour is reached - DO NOT get any on the skull.
    Correct, spot on.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    All i would add is don't panic when you paint it on, it goes on purple but changes to brown quickly.
    Cheers
    ​Richard

Eddy is spot on !! the thing I will had is hang the head up side down and paint from the corinets to the tips. So any runs don't drip on the skull . its a bugger to get off !!
    Atb... Dave

The skulls seem to be remarkably white, how did you achieve that?
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.

As others have said PP used to get it from chemist but its getting harder to find, I see you are in Falkirk so if you have a problem finding it take a trip to Stirling, Bushwear sell an antler stain that seems to work well.

i got mine off this chap easy to deal with and as others said works a treat ,atb wayne
    POTASSIUM PERMANGANATE 400g 99.9%+ Purity, Top Quality AR Grade Material | eBay

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Thanks guys, Some great tips there...

EMcG...thanks for the help. have never heard of that method...will report back...

Bog Trotter...I've ordered some PP from a seller on the bay, so.....hopefully it will be here soon..I'm in BW regularly, and didnt even think to ask .....

DDS....The "going purple" would have really thrown me, thanks for letting me know...

Adrian...Just wrapped them in cotton wool, and poured hydrogen peroxide (9%) over them, and left till the required colour was attained...
    Last edited by Norrie1956; 01-09-2013 at 14:55. Reason: addition