Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm rem mag loads!

7mm rem mag loads!

Hi guys.Just placed an order for my new 7mm rem mag.I'm after people's opinions on the best ammo/powder/load configuration for fallow deer.I'm after something with as little meat damage as possible.Thanks guys,Tim.

Barnes TSX 140 grain with 65 grains of H4831 works for me, obviously safe in mine and may not be in yours etc etc. I have also used reloader 22 and that was fine too. Its a cracking calibre, have fun!! These photos were from Roe not Fallow, the bullet did hit the lower edge of the shoulder blade. The red was blood that had seeped between the tissue layers not shredded and mangled meat. I was able to strip out the intact meat from the area and it was undamaged. Entrance on the right and exit on the left. Range about 60 yards.

Attachment 31986Attachment 31987

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    Barnes TSX 140 grain with 65 grains of H4831 works for me, obviously safe in mine and may not be in yours etc etc. I have also used reloader 22 and that was fine too. Its a cracking calibre, have fun!! These photos were from Roe not Fallow, the bullet did hit the lower edge of the shoulder blade. The red was blood that had seeped between the tissue layers not shredded and mangled meat. I was able to strip out the intact meat from the area and it was undamaged. Entrance on the right and exit on the left. Range about 60 yards.

Attachment 31986Attachment 31987

I use same bullet but with 62.5 grains of H4831 in a REM 700 BDL
    TonyC

Barns are a great bullet but a little finicky to load for,I would personally go for 150gr pill as you have plenty of horse powder to use.also look at Nosler Partition or any of the bonded core bullets I find they do little to no meat damage even on Roe.

i used to load 66gr Rl22 and 150gr interbonds the meat damage was similar to that shown by srvet. I have also used 168gr Berger bullets and have had no worse damage! infact less damage going in....
    160gr accubonds and 150gr sciroco were all as effective.

63grs of 4350, cci magnum primer and 140gr nosler partition works very well in mine (24inch barrel)
    sinbad/paul
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

H4350 or H4831 would be my choices.~Muir

Great,thanks for the info guys!Any cases better to use than others?Thats the last bit I need to decide on,Thanks again,Tim.

TG,

I use 160 grain Sierra Gamekings with Vit N165, Remmy magnum primers and Winchester brass. My barrel length is 26 inches.

Brass choices for the 7mm RM are a bit limited in the UK compared to other cartridges. I use Winchester almost by default. The stuff I've had was not great to look at straight from the bag. The necks were rough and needed sizing to shape and trimming to length. I didn't get into weighing them so don't know how consistant they are.

However, with some initial case prep carried out, the Winchester brass has produced accuracy beyond my capabilities, so am happy with it.

When I first got my Rem Mag I was advised to run bullets at the heavier end of the spectrum for UK deer. I think that's sound advice. I've had good results and minimal damage from the 160 grainers.

Cheers,

Bob

That makes sense,slower heavier bullet.What have you guys worked out its costing you per round?All the info has been great guys.Given me confidence to try a few things out.Wouldnt mind trying a few different heads/cases out so if someone fancies selling a few of each that would be greatly appreciated!Thanks again,Tim.