Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder for 2 calibres

Powder for 2 calibres

Hi

As a bit of an amatuer, just wondering if some people can give me advice- would one powder make/type suit both .22-250 and .270, or would you need different ones?

Ta

You can get away with one type of powder but it would not be ideal really.

In a work don't, if you have 2x powders and ideally different makes it saves the hassle when one goes off the market.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    i have 1 powder that will do both the rifles i have (not the same calibres as you) and i have a backup for each should they not be avaiable.

i can't see the issues with you having just the one powder ??

1 powder means less risk of loading the wrong powder in the wrong case etc.(seen it at bisley BOOM ................WHAT A MESS THE GUYS FACE WAS,)

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

22/250 and 270 are a poor pair of cartridges to try and cover with a single powder. It possibly could be done with something in the middle of the burn charts, maybe Varget or Reloder 15.

​I wouldn't even try it though, you will be compromising both rifles capabilities.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    i have 1 powder that will do both the rifles i have (not the same calibres as you) and i have a backup for each should they not be avaiable.

i can't see the issues with you having just the one powder ??

1 powder means less risk of loading the wrong powder in the wrong case etc.(seen it at bisley BOOM ................WHAT A MESS THE GUYS FACE WAS,)

bob.
    Err .... Bob. Unless you're using exactly the same calibres this advice isn't very helpful.
    The final sentence illustrates for different reasons why it's advisable for newbies to use an appropriate powder for the cartridge they've got.

I wouldn't dismiss the OP's question. It's valid in the case of the .22-250 and .270. The .22-250 can use a wide variety of powders because of it's large case size.

FWIW, I have tried IMR 4350 in both calibres. The Speer #13 Manual maximum in the .22-250 was 40 grains with a 55 grain bullet for 3400 FPS. It chronographed at 3418 FPS in a Tikka 22" - and was accurate.

I started very near Max because the limitation isn't pressure here, but just how much can be stuffed in the case. The Speer manual was right on this point, and on the velocity it gives. I've found Speer data the most reliable there is.

The point is that most shooters wouldn't be content with velocities which are 250 FPS shy of what the .22-250 can achieve with a matching powder.... but this cartridge is particularly flexible & can be run well with everything but the very fast numbers.

ATB.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Your problem is case capacities are so different. The 270 Winchester is a large case and the slow burning powders that work so w well in it are just not suited to the 22-250........................... well not those easily obtainable here in the UK.

​It seems that IMR 4064 would do it rather well but good luck in finding some.

OK

So let me get this- it is doable, within the confines of the reloading manual. But to get the best out of the rounds- or considering the availability of powders- people think I should go with different powders.

Can I just clarify exactly what impact using the same powder would have- is it velocity? accuracy? When Claret says 'compromising the rifles' capabilities' what exactly do you mean?

Ta

The faster powders normally used in the 22-250 will show pressure signs earlier in the 270 so velocities will not be equal to those slow burning powders the 270 Winchester cartridge just loves.

Of course to make use of these slow powders one needs a barrel of 24" or more in length really.