Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garden sheds as larders

Garden sheds as larders

Just wondered if anyone has converted a normal garden shed into a larder?
    I have no external buildings but I have space for a shed.
    My plan would be to insulate and ply line a shed.

Then install a drinks chiller inside the shed.
    This should hopefully give me a cool larder for butchering and a chiller for hanging.

Has anyone got any experience on using garden sheds for this?

My set up is exactly that. Shed 10' x 8', 2 windows on the front, one full size and one half size door on the end allowing a bit more space to get larger items in. Had the power put out to it, a sink put in and a chiller, have a hanging beam on teh roof to take the weight of beasts. Also insulated and lined doors, wall and ceiling before covering with ply board. Whole inside was painted with a few coats of white external wood paint and a couple of blinds from dunelm mill to keep sun out. Works a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by david1976 View Post
    My set up is exactly that. Shed 10' x 8', 2 windows on the front, one full size and one half size door on the end allowing a bit more space to get larger items in. Had the power put out to it, a sink put in and a chiller, have a hanging beam on teh roof to take the weight of beasts. Also insulated and lined doors, wall and ceiling before covering with ply board. Whole inside was painted with a few coats of white external wood paint and a couple of blinds from dunelm mill to keep sun out. Works a treat.
    Nice!

Thank you!
    How warm is the shed part in the summer?
    I had a thaught that if I insulate the shed that it would get hot rather than keep cool.

It is hot in the summer yes. I am considering purchasing a portable air cooler for next summer to keep the temperature down as they seem to be available for under 150 from northern tools and the likes. Insulation definitely worth it for the winter months though.

Fine if its only for your own consumption, but if selling two things there should not be in a larder wood and paint.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Fine if its only for your own consumption, but if selling two things there should not be in a larder wood and paint.
    Local Council passed it for a venison dealer license no problem which included a couple of site visits and all relevant forms, paperwork etc.

I suppose worst case scenario is that it could be lined with that pvc stuff they use in kitchens.

Do you have potable water and connected waste mains?

Quote Originally Posted by straightbetweentheeyes View Post
    Why not try this instead of painted ply?
    Corotrim PVC Cladding Sheets White 2400 x 1220mm Pack of 5 Screwfix.com
    Regards, Jez
    That's the stuff I was planning on using!
    Fair bit cheaper here though.
    http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/p...FRMRtAodbwIA5Q

Local Council passed it for a venison dealer license no problem which included a couple of site visits and all relevant forms, paperwork etc.

Man thats crazy,estate I worked on spent 70,000 on larder and still not passed as fit we had a venison dealers license to sell carcases in skin prior to refurb, after refurb and inspection deemed still not fit for processing, we gave up dealers license as there is no great demand for complete carcases in skin and it was was going to cost a fortune reach the standard they were insisting on ,separate cutting rooms etc etc.

We were inspected for and were awarded quality assurance status , but local authority would not pass us to be able to skin a beast.