Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm STW

7mm STW

I am pondering a new rifle, a 7mm STW.

Any members currently using THIS CALIBRE ?
    If so what are you impressions?
    I will most likely go down the custom/semi custom route so any advice on barrel lengths/velocities greatly received. I will be home loading so any powder/bullet suggestions would be useful.

Having just looked on Midway UK for brass.... Is there any available for less than the price of a small Caribbean Island ?

Regards

Ed

Ed,

As you no doubt know, It's been a relatively popular cartridge for the long-range benchrest crowd plus of course the 'across the canyon' shooters in the US. Loading information does exist on the net eg accuratereloading.com (always taken with caution of course). I used to shoot with someone who used it for 1000 yard benchrest comp's using 180 grain bullets & they seemed happy enough with it.

If the cost of brass is an issue you could try necking down the parent 8mm Rem Mag cases but by the time you've bought a suitable generic 'necking' die & got the cases plus used up some of the relatively limited life of the barrel in fire-forming the brass - the ready made stuff may look more attractive.

The Reminington Ultra Mag or Weatherby could be a slightly cheaper route to similar ballistics but if the STW holds a fascination for you (there's nothing wrong with that) then paying for the pleasure is part of the deal.

I don't know of anyone who uses this cartridge. Around here (Montana) guys who want a big Seven go to the 7mm Rem Mag. I haven't seen a factory rifle -or custom for that matter- on the rack in 7mmSTW for years. I think it's probably a decent cartridge but popularity drives survivability and I don't see this one hanging around very long.~Muir

got some redding dies here second hand priced cheap to clear them if you wnatr them
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Barrel life, carcass damage, brass quality and cost, ,,,,,,,,

​It will smack you every time you squeeze the trigger..

what about a 7mm wsm or a 7mm rem mag

barrel life witht e wsm is an issue but an awesome caliber id go for a straight 284
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Any members currently using THIS CALIBRE
    ieI beleive plenty on here use 7mm or .28 Calibre. I doubt many if any use the 7 STW cartridge though.

I've had the STW , the Ultra Mag and the Rem Mag . Killed deer with them all and the only one I still have is the Rem Mag !

We have a custom built Interarms Mark X action on a laminated walnut and aluminum stock with a Douglas stainless 7mm-300 Weatherby barrel . I know the guy thats selling it and I know the guy that built it and I am sure the gun will shoot . However with a Remington 24x BR scope it weighs about 15 pounds . It was built for 1000 yard matches . Back when this gun was built in the mid to late 80's this cartridge and the 6.5mm-300 Weatherby were the pooh for 1000 yard shooters in Williamsport PA .

Quote Originally Posted by N.F.W.M View Post
    I am pondering a new rifle, a 7mm STW.

Any members currently using THIS CALIBRE ?
    If so what are you impressions?
    I will most likely go down the custom/semi custom route so any advice on barrel lengths/velocities greatly received. I will be home loading so any powder/bullet suggestions would be useful.

Having just looked on Midway UK for brass.... Is there any available for less than the price of a small Caribbean Island ?

Regards

Ed
    Could always look at the .280 Ai as an option.