move to scotland, Jobs, strontian

whitehackle

Both me and my partner are thinking about possibly moving to Scotland from the Midlands, for a lifestyle change.

We went to Strontian last winter and really liked it there, I have seen jobs around Fort William and I am really contemplating applying for a job there.

I am a self employed builder and my partner is an administrator.

At first we were thinking about estate worker jobs, but now I am thinking about doing any job and seeing what life is like up there.

I was just wondering if anyone on here has done anything like this or could offer any advice.

We are both mid 20s and we have a house so would be able to buy one up there (with a mortgage)

Thank You

Last edited:
Good luck with the move mate.
We have just done something very similar(derbyshire dales to just outside of Edinburgh) but for different reasons.
I think you are doing the right thing going North or possibly even the borders as I have noticed no change here in my lifestyle

Many years ago I moved to Cumbria. Not quite Scotland, but much the same in that you get stunning scenery, a calmer and less crime ridden place to live and bring up a family and traffic jams in general become a distant memory.

But be aware there are drawbacks. I live 45 miles from the nearest motorway, so travelling anywhere, visiting relatives and suchlike becomes more difficult. In a small community you're less likely to be anonymous. The theatre, theme parks, big shopping centres and the like are all out of easy reach. If you start a family, the grandparents are not handy to babysit or for emergencies. If possible, try it out for a period before burning your boats. Good luck.

So you need to weigh the pros and cons. Personally it's the best thing I ever did. But many people retire and go abroad to the places where they had holidays and find it's not the same living there.

If I were your age I would move to the north east, and train in something that would be useful offshore, from what I hear the oil industry is booming at the moment, get some rigger / welder / rope access qualifications and go on the rigs. You will earn twice what you would get as a jobbing builder and because of the shifts you will get loads of time off to go stalking...

Give it a go as you may not regret it! The West is a bit interesting by way of communication routes and the road to Glasgow and South is a tad long and windy.

My advice would be rent something for a while and see if you can stand the boredom. Then decide.

Yet another mover from the big smoke to the sticks. Back home in the Borders after 23 years in darkest Lancashire. But I grew up here and have always had roots in the area. Now closer to family, friends and things I like doing - walking, shooting and rugby. BUT........I am no longer anonymous, travelling back down south to do work jobs will be fun when the weather turns, I can't just pop out and buy all the useful (useless??) stuff I previously did. The whole of the Borders has a population not much bigger than twice the size of the town I used to live on the edge of - so my options are more limited.

Would I recommend it? Yep - I am far more chilled out. Worry less about getting the house/shed/car screwed. Can do the things I enjoy without the 3 hour journey each way. Can let the kids out to play with their mates without being too concerned.

I'd agree with Pedro though - try before you buy, if at all possible.

All the best,

hh

Many years ago I moved to Cumbria. Not quite Scotland, but much the same in that you get stunning scenery, a calmer and less crime ridden place to live and bring up a family and traffic jams in general become a distant memory.

But be aware there are drawbacks. I live 45 miles from the nearest motorway, so travelling anywhere, visiting relatives and suchlike becomes more difficult. In a small community you're less likely to be anonymous. The theatre, theme parks, big shopping centres and the like are all out of easy reach. If you start a family, the grandparents are not handy to babysit or for emergencies. If possible, try it out for a period before burning your boats. Good luck.

So you need to weigh the pros and cons. Personally it's the best thing I ever did. But many people retire and go abroad to the places where they had holidays and find it's not the same living there.

Just the bloody way I like it !!!

I already live in the sticks but not the same as Scotland. I do like the idea of not being close to the shopping centres and such.

Just like the idea of a simpler life.

Thanks

Last edited:
I lived in Caol, Fort Bill and worked a lot on Ardnamurchan. Loved it. Dunno where you're going to work, but it could become a treck from Strontian if you have to commute every day

in 1975 we moved to the Shetland isles from the Yorkshire moors ,so living without power and few houses around wasnt new to us ,we cut peat ,planted taties grew veg and fished to eat ,and still do ,for us it was home from the start, if you have a skill that fits in with the area without treading on established toes. I am now a retired blacksmith and farririer ,and if it feels like home from the start ,you will fall into place in the comunity ,folk naturaly will be curious about you ,answer the questioning honestly and the same version to all ,to lesson confusion ,when you are spoken about ,as you certainly will ,go for it ,younger the better we were both 29 with 2 bairns under school age

Last edited:
I was just mentioning Strontian as that is somewhere we liked, it wouldn't have to be Strontian, just where we could find jobs and scenery.

The previous advice is sound. Try the lifestyle first before committing. Rent your house out for a year and rent up there for a year if you can. Bear in mind the world is a lot smaller place thanks to the internet. You can buy most things you want and have them delivered, You can Skype or WhatsApp friends. It is better to have tried and failed than to look back and wish you had tried. Good luck.

Your both young enough have you thought about New Zealand or Australia? fantastic places. If I were still that age I wouldnt hesitate.
Paul

+1 for NZ. I'm married to a Kiwi and we spend quite a bit of time over there. Stunning country, laid back friendly people and a feel of England c. 1976 (the good bits, not the unemptied bins and 3 day week ;)).

Bad points are that it is a LONG way away.. realistically every journey is 36 hours+ No roe deer (a dealbreaker for me) and depending on what you do for a living , opportunities will be limited for some things (as a tech entrepreneur it would be difficult for me to do what I do over there for example).

I already live in the sticks but not the same as Scotland. I do like the idea of not being close to the shopping centres and such.

Just like the idea of a simpler life.

Thanks

Assume you have no kids yet. If you had I would just recommend a re-think. I moved to a farm about nine years ago from a a house in a small village. The kids hate the place. No friends around and the broadband connection is crap. Isolation may be great for you but unlikely for them.

Back