Thread: Remington Core Lokt - .308

Remington Core Lokt - .308

​I recently acquired a number of Remington Core Lokt rounds in .308, 180gr PSP Express

The velocity claimed is 2620 Fps

Running the rounds through my Tikka T3 varmint 20 inch barrel the velocity average is :-

2520 fps

Having run them through a Rem 700 Tactical with a 20 inch barrel the velocity average is:-

2505 fps

Has any one else experienced similar drop in claimed velocity with the same ammo ?

Regards

Rob

I'm guessing the ammo specked through a 24" tube. It's pretty much the standard for pressure guns.~Muir

Remington do use a 24" barrel for ballistic data .

20 inch barrels are ok for portability especially with a moderator but sacrifice a little on velocity
    25 ft/sec per inch reduction is about right.

Quote Originally Posted by badbob View Post
    Remington do use a 24" barrel for ballistic data .

20 inch barrels are ok for portability especially with a moderator but sacrifice a little on velocity
    25 ft/sec per inch reduction is about right.
    X2 That being said, I have two 308's at the moment, both with 22 inch barrels.I recently shot some identical factory loads through both of them ( a rare occurrence, I reload most of my ammo) and had a 70 to 95 fps difference between them.To be honest I've always treated factory stats as more of a guideline than an exact reference. There is just to much variation in individual rifles. I forget who said it, but he's right " every rifle is a law unto itself ", until you shoot it over a chrony you just dont know what the mv is.On a positive note, if they shoot well in your rifle, use them. No game I've shot ever noticed 100fps in either direction.

AB

Not sure if it's an original quote or something I read and remembered:-

" every rifle is a law unto itself "
    but I am guilty of posting on these boards more than once.

never found a rifle that sent a factory round down as per book ,but i'am about to try the geco's in 308 170's see how thay do over the chrono next week

It's within the range of expected velocities, as people have said.

IMI Samson 180 grain 308 ammo chronographs at 2510 fps in my 24" Sako varmint and 2380 in my mate's 20" Parker Hale. this is about what one would expect for this cartridge ( About 25 fps per inch ) but down on what a lot of people might expect from a 308. the main reason I can see for this is that factory ammo is loaded to lower pressure than most people's homeloads. The top end loads in the manuals tend to top out at about 60kpsi, if you are seeing pressure signs it likely that you are at least 5% over this figure. Most factory ammo seems to be loaded ( Sensibly from the manufacturer's point of view) to about 5-10% lower pressure with a commensurate drop in velocity.

Whether or not that 50-100 fps is particularly relevant is another matter, in experience it is not a great problem in a stalking rifle.