Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast and flat - really??.....

Fast and flat - really??.....

I often hear/read, xxx round is amazing, fast and flat etc. i can understand velocity variance on a round and the impact when shooting game but i am yet to see a particularly flat round - i.e where the flatness can be useful to a stalker/shooter.

I am very boring, i shoot a .243 100g factory round, i know its is plumb at 100m and drops about 3 inches for 200m. I.e. i know where i am/what adjustment needs to be made. Perhaps incorrectly i dont regard it as being flat.

Looking at other calibres, using basic info on say the federal website, the trend seems to be that almost all rifle rounds drop between 2 and 4 inches at 200m (if zeroed at 100m).

Is there anything out there which is flat or has miminal drop between 100m and 200m or is it impossible? Is the "its a very flat round" only true when comparing the above with a 200g .270 round?
    Last edited by willyroe; 02-09-2013 at 16:48. Reason: Spelling

Hi willyroe I agree with you I also shoot a 243 zero'd at 100 yrds and know that at 200 It will shoot a couple of inches low so I to get very tired with other people telling me how I should be shooting xyz calibre because it shoots flatter what a load of ******** if you shoot within the capabilities ofcboth your self and your rifle/calibre combination you wont go far wrong

Quote Originally Posted by willyroe View Post
    ....I am very boring, i shoot a .243 100g factory round, i know its is plumb at 100m and drops about 3 inches for 200m. ...
    Wouldn't it be better to zero your 243 to be 1 inch high at 100yds? That's what I was shown to do in Perthshire in the late '60s and I have been zeroed like that ever since. MPBR is a good subject to read up on.

Regards

JCS

That would give you 'point and shoot' within a one inch kill zone from 10yds out to 195yds as opposed to the current setting which is 15yds to 150yds. (Based on guessing muzzle velocity n stuff!)

regards

​Ian

remember 209 , 2" high at 100 0 at 200 and 9" low at 300 , most calibres are within an inch of this and remembering it will get you killing hits out to 300.
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

only really becomes noticeable when you start getting near to and breaking 4000fps in lighter, smaller calibres

within reason almost all stalking calibres shoot within a inch or two of each other inside normal stalking distances

Hi I would describe my 25-06 as fast and flat compaired to my 308 which is losing speed and and falling faster. I dont think its a problem as long as you know your rifle and choice of bullet.

Hurrah! At last a sensible thread on MV and trajectory!!!!

A knowledgable few commenting who obviously read and know a bit about ballistics.

I get so fed up reading that this round is better than that round as it shoots flatter. As pointed out above, they all shoot so close to one another out to stalking distances you wouldn't notice!

Now all some need to realise is the energy different chambering's produce because of the speed and we will all be educated!!!!

And then we can move on to the BC of bullets not making a jot of difference either out to 200yds!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by multiman View Post
    Hi I would describe my 25-06 as fast and flat compaired to my 308 which is losing speed and and falling faster. I dont think its a problem as long as you know your rifle and choice of bullet.
    compare 110g bullets in both calibres , theres an inch in it at 300 ?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

My 22 Hornet is super-flat out to 100 yards. When so zeroed!

K