View Poll Results: Which do you adjust first?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Powder weight and then seating depth.

56 77.78%
  • Seating Depth and then Powder Weight

11 15.28%
  • A combination of both!

5 6.94%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Powder Versus Seating depth?

Powder Versus Seating depth?

Just curious as to which is generally tackled first when developing a load. Do you adjust the powder weight first then the seating depth, or vice-versa? Is there any reliable information as to which is the preferred method?
    MS

I always try to seat the bullet so that it's base as at the neck/shoulder juncture and work the powder charge out from there. I do not subscribe to this must be close to the lands stuff at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    I always try to seat the bullet so that it's base as at the neck/shoulder juncture and work the powder charge out from there. I do not subscribe to this must be close to the lands stuff at all.
    So are you saying that you ONLY alter the powder weight and don't bother with seating depth at all?

I push mine in until the bullet looks nice - provided it fits the magazine

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    I push mine in until the bullet looks nice - provided it fits the magazine
    How aesthitically scientific!
    MS

I'm new to reloading and am at present working on my first .243 load.
    I have been going on the basis that the bullet should be seated just off the lands, which seems logical, but some people obviously disagree.
    ​I made an OAL guage based on the Hornady one. Have I wasted my time ?
    Also, I've never heard of adjusting seating depth, after getting the powder sorted, to improve accuracy. If I try this is it trial and error, or is there some sequence I should follow.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    How aesthitically scientific! MS
    I don't think the words 'aesthitically scientific' were invented when I started reloading in the late fifties so perhaps I've been doing something wrong

I'm no expert, but with the 8 or so loads I've worked up I've done powder weight first and have been able to get good accuracy by varying that. I've not yet needed to adjust the seating depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard S View Post
    I'm new to reloading and am at present working on my first .243 load.
    I have been going on the basis that the bullet should be seated just off the lands, which seems logical, but some people obviously disagree.
    ​I made an OAL guage based on the Hornady one. Have I wasted my time ?
    Also, I've never heard of adjusting seating depth, after getting the powder sorted, to improve accuracy. If I try this is it trial and error, or is there some sequence I should follow.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Richard
    I too measure the max OAL to the lands by having a bullet in a case which is just tight enough to be seated by the lands. I then set my initial loads at 20 thou back from this. I then load batches of 5 rounds at the start load powder weight and every whole grain up to the max. I test fire them at the lower weight first and upwards, carefully checking for signs of over-pressure at each stage. This normally gives me a definite weight with a better group than the others.
    I then use this weight and make further batches with seating depths at every 10 thou towards and away from the lands up to 40 thou, ie, 0, 10, 30 & 40.
    By this point, I have usually got my group down to sub MOA which is generally good enough. You could go every half grain of powder or every 5 thou if you wanted to perfect it I suppose, but for general stalking purposes, this method should work fine. I have friends who do it the other way around though! I'm not sure which is best or why, hence my post!
    MS

You might want to see your new bullets a little deeper as per the manufactures recommendation. Think they suggest 50 thou.