Post Office Parcels

blaven

Whilst posting a spare Anschutz mag I sold on Ebay recently, I was asked in the post office what was in the jiffybag. Much hoo haa ensued when it was admitted it was a part for a gun. The new leaflet explaining what could and could'nt be sent was consulted and in the end it was accepted and delivered to the buyer.
Anybody know if I'm going to have the same probs sending a box empty cartridge cases to someone?
Apparently all parcels are scanned now.

Its another step in the wrong direction, but here to stay as far as Royal Mail are concerned I fear. There are alternative suppliers though.

So long as the item is not prohibited, then it can go. We post a fair amount - because its fairly standard items repeatedly, I try to have a word word accurate but 'happy' description - I have yet to note the counter staff write or record my response. My better half - obviously made of sterner stuff - usually answers 'sex toy - no batteries' in a very loud voice. This on the principal that an item's use is only limited by imagination! :eek:

as long as its not a firearm and only a none fac part, i don't tell them just say if asked its a "engineering part" i'am not telling a tail as it was made at a factory! i'v sent lots of gun related parts not ammo sec 1 , but fmj no probs, i'v sent case's etc with no prob's at all, if you say its a gun part as all none informed do :eek: thay over do it and think you are 007 or whatever , :doh:

Last edited:
The post office are slowly shooting themselves (no pun intended) in the foot over their politically correct health and safety restrictions and rules.

I have sent deer antlers through the post for years. In the last month I have sent some more, they have shown me the 'restricted items' card and asked me if my parcels contain any of the items shown on it. I always reply no because it doesn't show deer antlers but chatting to the staff I do tell them what's in the box, especially if the antlers are going abroad as I declare it on the customs label. They always raise and eyebrow or engage in conversation about the antlers, nothing negative.

The last time I used them I wasn't shown the card but was asked straight what the parcel contained as it was going to the U.S.. I said it was deer antlers and then looked on in amazement as for some reason on this occasion it produced a lot of sharp breaths, sucking of air between teeth and much looking up on the computer to see if this heinous act was allowed.

I politely tried to help by saying that I had been sending them for years, that I had even sent some a few days ago, even pointing out the lady who served me but on this occasion they didn't know what to do.

Eventually they decided that because 'antlers' were not on the list of restricted items they would allow me to send them but I must realise that if U.S. customs didn't like it they parcel would be destroyed and that would be that.

Shaking my head I replied along the lines of "yeah whatever love", paid and left. The person received the parcel within five days no problem.

Since then I have opened an account with Hermes. I can do everything from home, postage is cheaper and I can either take the parcel to a drop off point which is easier to get to than the Post Office or I can arrange for the parcel to be collected when it suits me.

If the Post Office are becoming difficult, there are alternatives, sometimes better ones.

Tis a farcical situation.... Recently, I had a stalking knife to sort out with a re profile of the blade... Sent to Dougster, as a `kitchen` knife, and no issues. Work was done superbly, and returned in a fews days, and all ok....

If you are too honest they will have you, so play them at their own game.... Kitchen knife GOOD - Stalking knife BAD..... Hilarious....

All the best.

Neil.

I asked them why they were now asking and the guy said "they have lost some planes due to things exploding"!!

they don't scan "everything"
they barely have the resources to deliver things on time without losing them

I have posted bullets (target obviously!) and don't tell them
they cant stop delivering something because the don't understand it and I have way more important things to do than try to educate the postie on the intricacies of firearms law

you should see what TNT deliver for me!!!

The post office are slowly shooting themselves (no pun intended) in the foot over their politically correct health and safety restrictions and rules.

I have sent deer antlers through the post for years. In the last month I have sent some more, they have shown me the 'restricted items' card and asked me if my parcels contain any of the items shown on it. I always reply no because it doesn't show deer antlers but chatting to the staff I do tell them what's in the box, especially if the antlers are going abroad as I declare it on the customs label. They always raise and eyebrow or engage in conversation about the antlers, nothing negative.

The last time I used them I wasn't shown the card but was asked straight what the parcel contained as it was going to the U.S.. I said it was deer antlers and then looked on in amazement as for some reason on this occasion it produced a lot of sharp breaths, sucking of air between teeth and much looking up on the computer to see if this heinous act was allowed.

I politely tried to help by saying that I had been sending them for years, that I had even sent some a few days ago, even pointing out the lady who served me but on this occasion they didn't know what to do.

Eventually they decided that because 'antlers' were not on the list of restricted items they would allow me to send them but I must realise that if U.S. customs didn't like it they parcel would be destroyed and that would be that.

Shaking my head I replied along the lines of "yeah whatever love", paid and left. The person received the parcel within five days no problem.

Since then I have opened an account with Hermes. I can do everything from home, postage is cheaper and I can either take the parcel to a drop off point which is easier to get to than the Post Office or I can arrange for the parcel to be collected when it suits me.

If the Post Office are becoming difficult, there are alternatives, sometimes better ones.

Exactly the same here fella.Have post hundreds of antlers with nay probs,and then all of a sudden the local one wont allow it.Ive been to a different two POs outwith the toon and none have any qualms at all about sending them so not sure what the problem is.The prohibited cards up make no mention of them so its a wee bit confusing.

I think being creative in describing the contents is the answer and may prove quite amusing. For example for antlers say "parts for coat hanger", for knives, as has been said, kitchen implement, for a magazine say "pressed steel container". Points could be awarded for the most outlandish ones that they take.

Or just go elsewhere, and eventually those that are being "jobsworths" about it can be "doleworth" when the jobs go because of lack of business.

I had to post back the Bushwear shooting sticks that fell apart on first use....11 quid as it had to go parcelforce since it was over 60cm!

they only cost 24 quid...but 13 quid back is better than nothing i suppose. grrrrr

oh yes, they were merely 'metal poles'. Actually once the buggers had disassembled themselves in the car they actually were just some metal poles which is why i was sending them back...i needed shooting sticks not 'some poles'. different thread, different topic....calm now. calm.

Go elsewhere as has been said.

I've had excellent service from Collect+, operating from many newsagents. A 'does-what-it-says-on-the-tin service'
Or try Parcel2go, who sub-contract to DHL, CityLink, FedEx etc at good rates. One time I went through their website to arrange a courier and was very surprised when DHL turned up on my doorstep to collect the parcel within half-an-hour.
I've also had great service from DPD, particularly if you're posting into Europe.

I hate going to the Post Office.

Triffid

I try not to use them now, preferring myhermes, but on the occasion i do have to use them and they ask whats in the parcel i tell them its none of their business as there is nothing prohibitive in the parcel like batteries.

A good point activeviii. There should be a presumption of privacy as to what's in any mail you're sending. It's reasonable that carriers ask that nothing they wouldn't send or is illegal is in it and perhaps ask for a signature to that effect.

But to want to know what's in every mail item sent is something the Nazis did in the prison camps.

Back