Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fox with a headache!

Fox with a headache!

I was out last night lamping with the .243 when I came across this fox who appeared to be a bit odd.....there was something about his gait which indicated ill health and so I shot him cleanly through the chest from about 50yds. On closer inspection he appeared entirely healthy and normal except for a large hole in the top of his head! looked/smelt like it was infected.......had yellow/green puss last night but this morning when I went to take the picture the flies had cleaned it up. My guess is: headshot gone wrong (.22lr/17hmr?)
    what do you think?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FOX - brain injury 008.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	510.1 KB 
ID:	32020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FOX - brain injury 014.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	543.4 KB 
ID:	32021

possibly an air rifle by looks ive shot a couple in past with pellets in there scalps

Robert bucknall has some very similar photos in one of his books, including a fox that had been shot broadside without the round expanding, only to be caught up with again by the same team a couple of weeks later. I've had similar myself, shot a Fox with .243, no reaction other than a squeak, shot again 50 yards on when it walked out of cover and it went down. 2 entries and exits at completely different angles!

Novice

Bloody 17 hmrs. Regards pete

By the look of it I would agree with gr1ffer - air rifle shot head on, I haven't shot a fox with my .17HMR as yet but with what it does to rabbits cannot believe that this would be the culprit. Have shot foxes with a colleague with a HMR and at the correct range and correct shot placement is a perfectly suitable round for a clean kill.

I think a better title for this thread would be "Idiot who should not have access to a gun".

What kind of moron shoots a target species with a gun that is wholly unsuitable for the job.

It is a good thing that someone with a suitable calibre (.243) was around to clean up the mess.

I once shot a fox looking at me with my 22lr at about 20yds right between the eyes and heard the round zing off into the distance ! it had richochet of the top of it's skull due to the low angle ? anyway it went down and i gave it another straight away and killed it but if it hadn't killed it it may have gone away with a wound that could have got infected?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

That's a good old SD answer Bob!

I have come across this in both fox and badger and the fox I know for a fact had been hit by a car. Even rabbits will sustain top of head injuries from a sump nut or similar if the car passes right over it.

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    That's a good old SD answer Bob!

I have come across this in both fox and badger and the fox I know for a fact had been hit by a car. Even rabbits will sustain top of head injuries from a sump nut or similar if the car passes right over it.
    +1 looks like vehicle knocked a clump of turf off charlies head

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    I once shot a fox looking at me with my 22lr at about 20yds right between the eyes and heard the round zing off into the distance ! it had richochet of the top of it's skull due to the low angle anyway it went down and i gave it another straight away and killed it but if it hadn't killed it it may have gone away with a wound that could have got infected?

finally!!
    I had this "discussion" about ricochets off the fox skull in exactly this spot of the skull and apparently I was "mistaken"
    at least now someone else has seen it happen first hand

mine was with an HMR and well inside 100yds
    mine didnt got down but gave the tell tale spinning and jumping of a wounded animal

is that the brain I can see, i.e is there a circular hole through the skull?
    or is it the skull you can see.
    If the latter I would put money on a projectile rather than a vehicle.
    not too many foxes would fit under my car without breaking limbs, ribs etc