Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 200 (two hundred) yard 22 hornet groups

200 (two hundred) yard 22 hornet groups

Very keen to see as many of these as possible please. Going to shoot mine this Friday.
    Cheers

K

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prairiedog Shot.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	329.6 KB 
ID:	32033

Here's on my son fired on a winter prairiedog.~Muir

(In truth, it was just under 190 yards, not 200.)

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prairiedog Shot.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	329.6 KB 
ID:	32033

Here's on my son fired on a winter prairie dog.~Muir

(In truth, it was just under 190 yards, not 200.)
    Cheers Muir

Nice shooting!

As you've proberbly realised I'm something of a strange old cus and out to prove a point even though I love this round dearly.

We shall however find out according to the world of "K" c/0 a 200 yard Bisley FP this Friday!

Cheers

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Cheers Muir

Nice shooting!

As you've proberbly realised I'm something of a strange old cus and out to prove a point even though I love this round dearly.

We shall however find out according to the world of "K" c/0 a 200 yard Bisley FP this Friday!

Cheers

K
    I caught that, yes. I'm curious to see how you do.
    I have only shot at 100-ish on paper but have killed prairiedogs to 300 yards on a cold bore shot. My son is a shooting machine with the Hornet. I swear he's got this "heads up" display on the lens of his right eye that tells him where to hold off in a wind on a Hornet. I have seen him head shoot dogs at 150 -180 yards in a cross wind that sends .223 shooters back to the house. He only shoots one load, 35 grain VMax and Lil Gun.~Muir

Indeed and I do not doubt for one second that a rifle of any calibre is ultimately only as flexible as the nimrod who's trigger finger breaks the sear.

As it happens I've surprised myself on a number of occasions on live quarry out to 200 yards with my Hornet but in all the years I've owned that same rifle its never been fired through paper at that distance.

13 grains of LilGun and a 35g V-Max is the magic load as far as I can determine.

Cheers

K

Just been out tonight shooting bunnies with my 22 Hornet I love the round. I will try and set a target at 200 and post it on here when I get a chance.
    Im using 40 grain sierra hornet soft points on top of 13 grains of LilGun

Indeed and I do not doubt for one second that a rifle of any calibre is ultimately only as flexible as the nimrod who's trigger finger breaks the sear.

As it happens I've surprised myself on a number of occasions on live quarry out to 200 yards with my Hornet but in all the years I've owned that same rifle its never been fired through paper at that distance.

13 grains of LilGun and a 35g V-Max is the magic load as far as I can determine.

Cheers

K
    All true. I regularly kill prairiedogs out to 200 yards and they are a small target. At least two of the members on this board have hunted with me an can attest to my light fanaticism for this little round.

One thing about the 35 grain VM. Stock up: It is on the list of bullets Hornady has "temporarily" suspended production on through the end of the year. It will take a year to catch up here, longer there. Get enough for 18 months if you can. I bought 1000 from the Trading Post in early July and had 1500 previously. My son will have enough. I shoot the Midway 34 grain. Another dam fine bullet for the Hornet.~Muir

35g V-Max
    I never have liked that bullet .

And I've tried it in a Hornet and a 223 HB .

I am more inclined to use a 40 grain Nosler BT or the V Max . Shot some decent groups in past Hornets I had with the 40 grain BT bullet and AA1680 .

Interestingly the 35g Berger in my Anschutz produces shotgun patterning yet the V-Max turns in 1/4" groups all day.

K

My 1949 BRNO ZK prefers 40 grain V-max with 13 grains of little gun, and I have taken rabbits out to 210 yards with it, lovely round.
    I can vouch for Muir and his fascination with Hornets, he secretly craves mine

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses