Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting deer at night

Shooting deer at night

I spoke with someone today who was livid that it is perfectly legal to shoot deer at night if you have the appropriate piece of paper saying their damaging forestry / agriculture .
    Ive also noticed people on this site saying its unethical or in humane , why ?

Surely as long as its within legal allowance it's no different to shooting deer during the day . It's not hunting , it's culling . I'd compare it to shooting foxes at night , sure it's not so fair on the fox but if they are causing damage then you have to take appropriate action . I'd class myself as a recreational stalker , but I do try to understand the bigger picture of culling deer as part of overall land management . I swear some lads on here think they are doing deer a personal and beautiful favour when they pull the trigger .

of course its legal provided you have a night shooting licence as to the ethics and morrals you do whats needs to be done,if it leaves a bad taste in your mouth don't do it,but never knock others that do
    that's my take on it

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    I spoke with someone today who was livid that it is perfectly legal to shoot deer at night if you have the appropriate piece of paper saying their damaging forestry / agriculture .
    Ive also noticed people on this site saying its unethical or in humane , why ?

Surely as long as its within legal allowance it's no different to shooting deer during the day . It's not hunting , it's culling . I'd compare it to shooting foxes at night , sure it's not so fair on the fox but if they are causing damage then you have to take appropriate action . I'd class myself as a recreational stalker , but I do try to understand the bigger picture of culling deer as part of overall land management . I swear some lads on here think they are doing deer a personal and beautiful favour when they pull the trigger .
    I personally wouldn't do it. I've seen how darned easy it is to get up close when they are in the lamp, I suppose if there is a 'real' reason, rather than the 'nibbling a little wheat, bits lets make an easy buck (no pun intended) under permit' then its a quick and easy way of reducing numbers, even foxes are sporting under a lamp, deer, its easier than taking candy from a baby.
    This is just my personal opinion, which counts for nowt

Regards
    ​Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

If its done properly with night shooting licence in place then I personally don't see any problem. I've been a helper last 4 years on a night shooting licence and if need will be helping agian if work restraints allow.i don't see how it's any less humane than during the day shot placements the same. It's not supposed to be sporting its crop protection.
    Last edited by davidm; 02-09-2013 at 17:56.

Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    I personally wouldn't do it. I've seen how darned easy it is to get up close when they are in the lamp, I suppose if there is a 'real' reason, rather than the 'nibbling a little wheat, bits lets make an easy buck (no pun intended) under permit' then its a quick and easy way of reducing numbers, even foxes are sporting under a lamp, deer, its easier than taking candy from a baby.
    This is just my personal opinion, which counts for nowt

Regards
    ​Pete
    we shoot between 60 and 80 foxes a year and I don't find it sporting really , it would be fair to say at times I find it a chore ! I'm a farmer , and I can assure you nibbling a little wheat could soon be your margins gone in a bad year . With all due respect I don't think you can really understand this unless you have it affect your own profits .

Guys

Last time i spoke to Natural England on the subject they had issued one night shooting license only, but that was about two years ago now.

So best of luck with that then.

Regs Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    we shoot between 60 and 80 foxes a year and I don't find it sporting really , it would be fair to say at times I find it a chore ! I'm a farmer , and I can assure you nibbling a little wheat could soon be your margins gone in a bad year . With all due respect I don't think you can really understand this unless you have it affect your own profits .
    By sporting, in reference to foxes, I mean it in the way that they don't always make it easy, and can be 'interesting' little blighters, as opposed to deer, that happily stand and graze under a lamp. Also, if people didn't find fox shooting 'sporting', the only people doing it would be farmers as yourself, and people you pay to do it, and I'm sure you know plenty of people who'd jump at the chance to shoot your foxes for you.

I do understand about losing your margins, I spent a few weeks protecting one particular barley field that a massive parliament of rooks (funny how a group of 'thieving birds' is called a parliament) had taken a liking to in the last hot spell.

My point about 'real' reason, is because I know of at least one person who used crop protection as an excuse to get a permit, harvested said crop, then shot the deer. When questioned, he was moaning the deer were eating the very thin (6") strip that he had missed on the edge of the field.

Regards

​Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Getting a night licence in England is not easy, in fact I believe they are like hens teeth. In Scotland it appears they are handed out quite frequently.

I have undertaken it once many years ago with a keeper friend in Scotland on crop damage. It is fair to say that for the short term the deer are easy to take out, but give it a while and they soon learn. As to the ethics, its not something I would want to undertake as a job. To me it takes away the beauty of deer stalking and the skill.

However I do believe that the minimum calibre is 270 and you must have access to a trained dog.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

I didn't even think they had issued one night shooting license but plenty going on with lamp and nv