Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking my rifle to Poland

Taking my rifle to Poland

Evening all,

Legal issues here. I've never taken my rifle outside the UK but i'm looking to venture into Poland next month. Firstly will the country allow me to fly in with a rifle (.308 Win)? Secondly if i can, would it be better to purchase ammo there or will i need to take some with me, do they recognise our certificates?

I would also like some info regarding the routine with the airport, costs, procedures, packaging, everything really.

If you regularly fly out from the Uk with your rifle i would love to hear from you?

Regards

Carl.

SD Regular
    This may be an "old chestnut" and now incorrect. But I have been told, by several, that 'scopes over 3x are illegal in Poland for some type of hunting. But that if you take a variable, say 3-9 or 2-7 and use electrician's tape to "lock" the adjustment right at 3x or below then that is OK.

Would be so easy just to borrow one! Can anyone add any more to this thread?

I have travelled to Poland using LOT Polska airlines and had no trouble whatsoever carrying firearms.
    I declared them when booking my seat, I cannot remember whether there was an extra charge but there may have been.
    I declared them on arrival at check in and was directed to customs from there.
    The rifle was in a hard, secure case and my ammo, 40 rounds, in a small metal cash box inside my hold luggage.
    The customs were only interested in checking that my rifle serial number was the same as on my FC, once checked it was secured and taken from me until I arrived at Poznan where it was checked again and then I was on my way.

Carl,

You have your European Firearms Pass?

​Stan

As an aside I recently went to South Africa ( not shooting unfortunately ) and in the baggage reclaim I was asked three times if I was waiting for firearms. I suppose I just look like a reprobate.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Hi Stan

I'm going to leave my rifle at home on this occasion, but may take it next time. Just read up on the European firearms pass, seems pretty easy enough. I just need to find a professional stalker to look after me for 1 or 2 days now.

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Carl,

You have your European Firearms Pass?

​Stan

Carl,

No problems getting one. Just write to your Firearms Dept and request one for ALL your rifles and shotguns. (covers all future plans). It's free. Bottom line it means you have the OK for all EU ownership requirements and all you then need is the hunting permit (that you get from whoever is organising).

Stan

Will crack that this week. Any one know Steve Duncan out there, after an email address for him?
    Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Carl,

No problems getting one. Just write to your Firearms Dept and request one for ALL your rifles and shotguns. (covers all future plans). It's free. Bottom line it means you have the OK for all EU ownership requirements and all you then need is the hunting permit (that you get from whoever is organising).

Stan