Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting off Sticks - Standing Position Tips

Shooting off Sticks - Standing Position Tips

Any tips for shooting off the standing position with a pair of sticks? I did the 100yd Stalkers Test shoot last week and scored:

Prone:10,10(same hole)
    Sitting:10,10,
    Kneeling:10,10Super
    Standing:0,0
    Bench Unsupported:9,0

So, apart from a bum shot on the bench (clock was ticking and I had 1 sec to get the last shot off), it appears it's my standing shooting that needs a lot of work....

I recall being taught a trick to make standing very stable, but can't for the life of me remember what it was...it was either something fancy with the sling, or crossing the left arm under your right armpit to make a rest...

Any ideas?

Quad sticks make it very stable

1. Ensure the correct height so you're neither stretching up or stooping.
    2. Angle sticks at 45 rather than as per your foot positioning.
    3. Experiment with a; - sticks upright and only taking weight of rifle and b; - set away with forward pressure as in pushing into them. One or other will work best depending on your temperament.

4. Make sure the V is well padded and the forfend sits square.

5. Ensure leg adjustment settings are locked off.

6. Learn to snap shoot as in get shot off the moment cross hairs (momentarily) wobble across/onto the 10 ring!

K
    Ps: To deploy a sling you need the so-called "Sport/Target" variety with arm loop.
    Last edited by Klenchblaize; 03-09-2013 at 06:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxster View Post
    Any tips for shooting off the standing position with a pair of sticks? I did the 100yd Stalkers Test shoot last week and scored:

Prone:10,10(same hole)
    Sitting:10,10,
    Kneeling:10,10Super
    Standing:0,0
    Bench Unsupported:9,0

So, apart from a bum shot on the bench (clock was ticking and I had 1 sec to get the last shot off), it appears it's my standing shooting that needs a lot of work....

I recall being taught a trick to make standing very stable, but can't for the life of me remember what it was...it was either something fancy with the sling, or crossing the left arm under your right armpit to make a rest...

Any ideas?
    It's all about triangulation. Assuming you are are using just a pair of sticks. Set the sticks upright - forehand into the v of the sticks and hold the forend of the rifle, butt into the shoulder standing upright - now let your hips rock backwards so that your weight is going straight downwards through spine, hip and leg bones, and not supported by muscle. This will at the same lean the sticks backwards. To complete the triangle push forward with the your fore hand. Don't try and take a steady aim, rather bring the cross hair up the offside leg and squeeze the trigger, and remember to follow through and let it go on the first aim - think the bullet into the target.

And practice, practice. Five minutes of dry firing off sticks a couple of times a day, which you can do indoors without the bolt in is a good start. Even better is to get out the air rifle or 22 and just practice. Don't go for tiny groups - you won't get them - all you need is a bullet through the shoulder. A large clay pigeon makes a good training target, moving onto the midi once your confidence is there.

Loop an 8ft drag rope over the top of the 2 sticks, stand on the other end with your left foot and lean into the sicks forming a 'tripod' the more you lean into the sticks the more rigid the sticks will be.

Mmm perfect scores from nearly all positions then miss the target completely from standing? I have to ask, are you sure that you weren't cross lane firing? Easily done from standing.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Loop an 8ft drag rope over the top of the 2 sticks, stand on the other end with your left foot and lean into the sicks forming a 'tripod' the more you lean into the sticks the more rigid the sticks will be.
    Disqualified!

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Disqualified!
    Please explain.
    I have used this method for many years and so have several people I have introduced to this method, both stalking and during the BDS shooting test.
    Last edited by EMcC; 03-09-2013 at 10:18.

I believe Toxster was referring to a course of fire shot under BSRC “Match Day” conditions although I may be wrong as there is no time limit in the Stalkers Test beyond that of once the rifle is in the shoulder and an aim acquired you cannot come up for a second gasp of air!

Basically you may use a pair of sticks plus a sling and that is it. No third leg or bracing yourself against the shed support posts.

What the BDS allow in their competitions/tests and is done by you and I in the field is of course something entirely different.

Cheers

K
    Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Please explain.
    I have used this method for many years and so have several people I have introduced to this method, both stalking and during the BDS shooting test.

Toxter
    Lots of people suffer from your problem (including me) - although many won't admit it.
    I tend to rest the forestock on my hand which I rest lightly on the sticks. Like shooting freehand but with a bit of help steadying but hardly supporting the front end.
    Get out & practice - even with a .22rf or air fifle. - OR - If you can't get out to actually shoot, practice dry firing at home.
    You could do a few sessions of free standing shooting - It all helps.
    Whatever you do & whatever technique you adopt - PRACTICE, PRACTICE & MORE PRACTICE.

Ian