Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt licks how effective ?

Salt licks how effective ?

Hi gents on me and my Mates permission we have reds and fallow stopping through every now and again I've been thinking of putting some salt licks in to try and hold them s bit longer will they work ?
    Atb
    jim

They will work as long as you don't shoot them going to or coming the licks. Also choose your licks carefully, zinc, iron, calcium, sodium etc are all much needed minerals they lack in their diet, however it is a suck it and see situation for best results.

I did this years ago and it lasted a while, if nothing else it gives them a much needed boost in winter months.

Thanks jaeger they seem pretty cheap for the most part do if it doesn't work it's no big loss , so you would say position them well away from the high seats ?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    Thanks jaeger they seem pretty cheap for the most part do if it doesn't work it's no big loss , so you would say position them well away from the high seats ?
    Deffo away from highseats, you don't want association with your activity and the licks. No harm in having them down, as I say, it's a benefit either way.

I used these... Rockies

I used the Red Rockies because of the copper content btw. I think there's 2 blocks in a box.

Thsnks jaeger I'm going to order some the wood we see them in the most is only about 20 acres so 2 blocks should be plenty

Thsnks jaeger I'm going to order some the wood we see them in the most is only about 20 acres so 2 blocks should be plenty
    I always had two in reserve and now and again id move them if I saw Deer activity in one particular are. As I say be mindful not to shoot them around the licks, they aren't stupid!

Thanks jaeger , do they find the licks easy enough? I'd imagine they smell them fairly easily?

Thanks jaeger , do they find the licks easy enough? I'd imagine they smell them fairly easily?
    You may have a bit of trial and error with placement but use your knowledge of Deer activity and place accordingly...can never have too many licks I found especially near coppice.

pour molasses over the licks and down the tree trunk, gets their attention pretty quick quick.. 5L should do you 2 goes on each lick