Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone fitted their own rifle recoil pad?

Anyone fitted their own rifle recoil pad?

Just wondering if anyone has fitted their own rifle recoil pad to a stock?

My ZKK601 .308 really needs a decent one fitting and I was going to have a go myself as I'm quite handy in the workshop. Is it a fairly simple operation? Is there a certain type that is better than others without breaking the bank?

Any obvious tips or techniques? I've watched a couple of youtube vids but like always the pro's make it look dead easy, even if it isn't!!

Cheers

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

whats wrong with the one on it? I have a 308 601 and the factory one seems fine.

There are aftermarket ones but they are best shaped with a belt sander, you can also get vulcanised rubber spacers to pack out if needed. Not a difficult job with care.

Pete, it's virtually non existent mate unless that's just how they are and I need to man up a bit!!?

I've done hundreds of them. ~Muir

Do them all the time to rifles and shotguns nice easy little job best done with a belt sander but a disc sander will do.

Cheers mate any recommendation for my rifle? I've looked on Midway and TW Chambers and there are loads of them!!

Ta

first, if the currentl one is very thin, and it's the right length of pull for you, you cannot install a bigger one unless you cut a length off the stock, but if you do, then at least it will be a good time to check the pitch and get it 'just right' as well.

I recommend Pachmayer decelerator or SW Silvers. both excellent pads. EZ kick are ok, but ugly. avoid cheap pads.

To reduce recoil Kickeeze or a Dave ISIS pad are the best both come in different lelengths.

To change or maintain length of pull decelerator or slivers are the best.

Cheap pads are ok for a short time then start to break down so are best avoided.

stratts, step one IMHO, do you have a decent disc or belt sander or can borrow one? if not, might as well just go right to a pro unless you want to buy and keep the sander for other diy purposes. you can't really install a pad without it tbh.

are you sure you are not currently on a buttplate rather than recoil pad?