Anyone fitted their own rifle recoil pad?

stratts

Just wondering if anyone has fitted their own rifle recoil pad to a stock?

My ZKK601 .308 really needs a decent one fitting and I was going to have a go myself as I'm quite handy in the workshop. Is it a fairly simple operation? Is there a certain type that is better than others without breaking the bank?

Any obvious tips or techniques? I've watched a couple of youtube vids but like always the pro's make it look dead easy, even if it isn't!!

Cheers

Stratts

There are aftermarket ones but they are best shaped with a belt sander, you can also get vulcanised rubber spacers to pack out if needed. Not a difficult job with care.

Do them all the time to rifles and shotguns nice easy little job best done with a belt sander but a disc sander will do.

first, if the currentl one is very thin, and it's the right length of pull for you, you cannot install a bigger one unless you cut a length off the stock, but if you do, then at least it will be a good time to check the pitch and get it 'just right' as well.

I recommend Pachmayer decelerator or SW Silvers. both excellent pads. EZ kick are ok, but ugly. avoid cheap pads.

To reduce recoil Kickeeze or a Dave ISIS pad are the best both come in different lelengths.

To change or maintain length of pull decelerator or slivers are the best.

Cheap pads are ok for a short time then start to break down so are best avoided.

stratts, step one IMHO, do you have a decent disc or belt sander or can borrow one? if not, might as well just go right to a pro unless you want to buy and keep the sander for other diy purposes. you can't really install a pad without it tbh.

are you sure you are not currently on a buttplate rather than recoil pad?

I had a ZKK 30-06 with a decelerator pad, didn't help one bit, these boys kick like mules because of their massive drop at heel distance and very light stocks...the recoil you will find, is mostly due to stock design, not the recoil reducing element on the back of it.

there are ways to reduce recoil, one is a brake or a moderator, you can also add weight by putting in steel in the front end (also avoids warpage) and a steel rod in the wrist to balance it (also avoids snabbing the wrist), you can also add a mercury tube in the butt of the stock. of course, a good pad helps too ;)...however, you willl find the biggest problem is the stock design..sadly.

Ah ok mate thanks for the info. It's not a rifle I've used much yet as I tend to take the .243, which is also a ZKK but has a deluxe stock and a recoil pad and is a pleasure to use. I have a T8 mod which I use for both rifles so it sounds like I just need to use it and get used to it so to speak.

30.06 bound to recoil more than a 243. If the rifle fits and a rough rule of thumb is if you get a really good sight picture without any contortions whatsoever, sometimes it is just exprcting it to kick. Put it up to your shoulder and hold it like the 243, no harder or tensed up and see what happens. You might be pleasantly surprised.

ATB

David.

I have recently fitted a Pachmayer decelerator pad to my 25-06 not a hard job to do you do need a sander though.

Shaping a recoil pad is one of these things that you get better and better at. In our workshop I am the only one who can grind a recoil pad. If the sander catches it...good by pad.

edi

Shaping a recoil pad is one of these things that you get better and better at. In our workshop I am the only one who can grind a recoil pad. If the sander catches it...good by pad.

edi

or worse, if the sander catches the stock finish above the pad...

Sorry we are on the South Coast of Ireland.
We actually mark out the recoil pad and grind/sand it separately from the stock.
edi

Back