Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7x64

7x64

Anyone have one? Not much seems to be said about them in the UK. I was thinking for reds and boar.

Also, how expensive is factory ammunition compared to .308 for example?

Ammo a little more than 308 unless bulk ,excellant round for deer from munty to red with no more damage than a 308 soft point ,can only say about it's good points as it don't seem to have any bad ! My mate accounts for many foxs whilst stalking and they don't seem to mind it also .
    ​Norma

I just wonder why there are so few in this country, in parts of Europe it seems to be the calibre of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Bob View Post
    I just wonder why there are so few in this country, in parts of Europe it seems to be the calibre of choice.
    Available to order but not off the shelf perhaps?
    atb Tim

My mate was quoted over 50 a box from,our local shop but managed to get Norma oryx for 30 from a friendly rfd who has the same cal and buys in bulk .
    another old school stalker I shoot with has a 7x64 but reloads his own for his old stutzen mannlicher .
    ​norma

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Bob View Post
    From what I've seen and talked to people in France it appears very popular and getting ammunition there seems easy as well (and I've seen it in stock the places I've looked). Been considering this calibre myself for here, Europe and South Africa. It would be great to hear more about this round and how others find it.

I've got one. Very happy with it. Like a .270 but you can put larger 7mm pills on the front. Ammo made by the Euro makers so should be obtainable. I'll reckon you like it

ATB,

Scrummy

An excellent round, I use my rifle (a CZ) for hunting and target, I use the berger 168 VLD bullets and is a very capable 1,000 yard round. It currently sits in a custom carbon fibre stock and is the dogs danglies.Attachment 32067

A good friend uses one and it is a great round. He knocks fallow and roe down easily with it, and with little damage.

Basically Brenneke came up with the .280 30 years before the Americans did and called it the 7x64, it does have a different shape to the brass so it is not interchangeable! If you reload there is a massive range of 7mm bullets available to play with, but if you don't then make sure your local RFD will stock some ammunition for you. There are gunshops in Scotland that stock it because of the amount of continental stalkers who come over with their 7x64's, I know of one or two in England who stock 7x64 ammunition too.

I have just bought a 7x57 because of great price it was offered to me at, but I would have been just as keen (if not more so) if it had been a 7x64.

​Simon

I have one back home but in the UK I would go for .270 better choice of s/h rifles and ammo available everywhere