Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gibbs Mauser 270win

Gibbs Mauser 270win

Has any one on here ever had a 270 Gibbs Mauser ? I just bought one. The previous owner bought it new but could not get a scope fitted, fired a hand full shots before running out of adjustment on his scope and gave up after that.
    Plan is to restock her with the option of re-barrelling before or leaving as is. Just not sure if these barrels shoot well and don't want to waste too much time. On the other hand the open sights on the original barrel can be quite handy.
    edi

Which Gibbs?

I ask because navy Arms in the US set up a company, The Gibbs Rifle Company, who bought P-H stuff and made a complete bollox of it. They lasted two years. The first batch they made up failed proof I understand.

They messed around with many P-H models and configurations dreaming up so real horrid ones like the Midland 2600. They also liked laminated wood. I picked up a Gibbs brochure/leaflet off E-bay USA as it's linked to P-H stuff.
    MOf course there was the old English firm of Gibbs of Bristol who made some fine rifles but they were the Mannlicher agents and importers so they did a lot of Mannlichers including the .256 Magnum on a specially built Model 1903.

Photos might help as would any barrel markings.

The American Gibbs use P-H hammer forged barrels. The whole deal involving them was very shady from what I can make out. It also involved them obtaining the Patterns for the P-H muzzle loaders which of course were only loaned to P-H and now it seems are in Navy Arms collection . As I said from what I have been told the whole ting was dodgy.

Thanks Kevin, I'll post some pictures later.
    I think it is an American Gibbs. No manufacturer written on the rifle, just a 4 digit serial number, 270win and proof marks.
    Barrel is 24" and looks like a quality product with folding v-notch. The Mauser action is the military version with flag safety and
    cut outs for stripper clip. Action Is fairly basic and rough. Same shape and looks as my Argentino Mauser.

edi

I would scan my leaflet but a book fell down onto my Canon printer jobbie and must have displaced something inside as now it don't work and show paper jam all the time. Must try and get it fixed at some point.

Looking through it none show the flag safety still fitted. However I KNOW for a fact that even P-H sold rifles with this fitted up at least until 1984 as my 1100M has it fitted.......................................

Correction on the back page is the :-
    Gibbs 98 Sporter.... This rugged, economical Mauser sporter features a new manufactured barrel complete with flip-up rear and ramped front sight. The stock is a walnut finished checkered hardwood. The action is drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

Calibres: .243, .270, .308, 30/06

Mod No GMS098

Now the stock looks like the P-H Model 1000 one except it has no fluted comb and no grip cap so a really cheap option one. Of course they do not show the LHS so we cannot see if it has the thumb cut or not. I wonder if these were an extension of navy Arms sporterising line and were in fact built on surplus rifles that the US was awash with some years back.

Hope that helps.

Ahhh it seems that Gibbs Rifle company has been brought back but they refuse to honour or warranty the earlier production rifles ................................... nice that but I found this information:-

http://www.gibbsrifle.com/

and following the magazine link:-

http://www.gibbsrifle.com/1903-a4_sniper_rifle_.html

So now we know what Carl Letner-Weiss and Bremer Arms were up to when p-H was suddenly shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    Thanks Kevin, I'll post some pictures later.
    I think it is an American Gibbs. No manufacturer written on the rifle, just a 4 digit serial number, 270win and proof marks.
    Barrel is 24" and looks like a quality product with folding v-notch. The Mauser action is the military version with flag safety and
    cut outs for stripper clip. Action Is fairly basic and rough. Same shape and looks as my Argentino Mauser.

edi

cough cough...did you say argentine mauser?...which one 1909?

Yes Kevin she is the very plane Jane stocked. I've taken some pictures but can only upload later. Very good to know the mount holes were factory made. thanks.

Piet, yes a 1909 made in Berlin. Was one out a truck load picked out. Lucky. However we butchered it....
    Now it is sitting in a high tech graphite stock, is 308 re-barrelled and has a AI magazine system fitted and is ultra fast handling, has very low recoil
    for a 6.6lb rifle and shoots great groups even at 400m. I bet they would have given an arm and a leg for this rifle in 1939....
    I know it is not every ones taste but that is what we do and visiting rifle experts have been astonished about the accuracy and low recoil.
    A friend of mine wants something similar, however with 270 we would not need a mag system as the original feeds nicely, we would possibly leave the barrel as is and only change the stock.
    edi
    Last edited by ejg; 04-09-2013 at 18:08.

Despite Gibbs Rifle Company's dubious tie up Parker-Hale I have no idea if this would have a P-H produced Hammer Forged barrel or not ........................................ but suspect it's a budget American made Button rifled one similar to those used by Century Arms on their budget sporting conversions.

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    Yes Kevin she is the very plane Jane stocked. I've taken some pictures but can only upload later. Very good to know the mount holes were factory made. thanks.

Piet, yes a 1909 made in Berlin. Was one out a truck load picked out. Lucky. However we butchered it....
    Now it is sitting in a high tech graphite stock, is 308 re-barrelled and has a AI magazine system fitted and is ultra fast handling, has very low recoil
    for a 6.6lb rifle and shoots great groups even at 400m. I bet they would have given an arm and a leg for this rifle in 1939....
    I know it is not every ones taste but that is what we do and visiting rifle experts have been astonished about the accuracy and low recoil.
    A friend of mine wants something similar, however with 270 we would not need a mag system as the original feeds nicely, we would possibly leave the barrel as is and only change the stock.
    edi

Edi, if you ever want to get rid of that rifle (ie. read action). let me know first please...or if you come across any other '09 actions, I'm buying ;-)

Zee pictures.

Piet, I could possibly connect you with a gunsmith in Germany. I think he helps out an import company as far as I know, they seem to handle large amounts of Mauser rifles. http://www.hauck-waffenbau.net/kai-hauck/
    Anyway the one I received is great quality at very small money. The 7.62x53 barrel went out as we would not get any ammo anyway. Lothar Walther have barrels pre chambered and pre threaded for Mausers on the shelf for around 200 Euro.

Kevin, the barrel seems the nicest thing about the rifle, the open sights are very fine and I would not have a bother taking deer with them if they were zeroed well.

edi