Gibbs Mauser 270win

ejg

Has any one on here ever had a 270 Gibbs Mauser ? I just bought one. The previous owner bought it new but could not get a scope fitted, fired a hand full shots before running out of adjustment on his scope and gave up after that.
Plan is to restock her with the option of re-barrelling before or leaving as is. Just not sure if these barrels shoot well and don't want to waste too much time. On the other hand the open sights on the original barrel can be quite handy.
edi

Which Gibbs?

I ask because navy Arms in the US set up a company, The Gibbs Rifle Company, who bought P-H stuff and made a complete bollox of it. They lasted two years. The first batch they made up failed proof I understand.

They messed around with many P-H models and configurations dreaming up so real horrid ones like the Midland 2600. They also liked laminated wood. I picked up a Gibbs brochure/leaflet off E-bay USA as it's linked to P-H stuff.
MOf course there was the old English firm of Gibbs of Bristol who made some fine rifles but they were the Mannlicher agents and importers so they did a lot of Mannlichers including the .256 Magnum on a specially built Model 1903.

Photos might help as would any barrel markings.

The American Gibbs use P-H hammer forged barrels. The whole deal involving them was very shady from what I can make out. It also involved them obtaining the Patterns for the P-H muzzle loaders which of course were only loaned to P-H and now it seems are in Navy Arms collection :-| . As I said from what I have been told the whole ting was dodgy.

Thanks Kevin, I'll post some pictures later.
I think it is an American Gibbs. No manufacturer written on the rifle, just a 4 digit serial number, 270win and proof marks.
Barrel is 24" and looks like a quality product with folding v-notch. The Mauser action is the military version with flag safety and
cut outs for stripper clip. Action Is fairly basic and rough. Same shape and looks as my Argentino Mauser.

edi

I would scan my leaflet but a book fell down onto my Canon printer jobbie and must have displaced something inside as now it don't work and show paper jam all the time. Must try and get it fixed at some point.

Looking through it none show the flag safety still fitted. However I KNOW for a fact that even P-H sold rifles with this fitted up at least until 1984 as my 1100M has it fitted.......................................

Correction on the back page is the :-
Gibbs 98 Sporter.... This rugged, economical Mauser sporter features a new manufactured barrel complete with flip-up rear and ramped front sight. The stock is a walnut finished checkered hardwood. The action is drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

Calibres: .243, .270, .308, 30/06

Mod No GMS098

Now the stock looks like the P-H Model 1000 one except it has no fluted comb and no grip cap so a really cheap option one. Of course they do not show the LHS so we cannot see if it has the thumb cut or not. I wonder if these were an extension of navy Arms sporterising line and were in fact built on surplus rifles that the US was awash with some years back.

Hope that helps.

Ahhh it seems that Gibbs Rifle company has been brought back but they refuse to honour or warranty the earlier production rifles ................................... nice that but I found this information:-

http://www.gibbsrifle.com/

and following the magazine link:-

http://www.gibbsrifle.com/1903-a4_sniper_rifle_.html

So now we know what Carl Letner-Weiss and Bremer Arms were up to when p-H was suddenly shut down.

Thanks Kevin, I'll post some pictures later.
I think it is an American Gibbs. No manufacturer written on the rifle, just a 4 digit serial number, 270win and proof marks.
Barrel is 24" and looks like a quality product with folding v-notch. The Mauser action is the military version with flag safety and
cut outs for stripper clip. Action Is fairly basic and rough. Same shape and looks as my Argentino Mauser.

edi

cough cough...did you say argentine mauser?...which one 1909?

Yes Kevin she is the very plane Jane stocked. I've taken some pictures but can only upload later. Very good to know the mount holes were factory made. thanks.

Piet, yes a 1909 made in Berlin. Was one out a truck load picked out. Lucky. However we butchered it....
Now it is sitting in a high tech graphite stock, is 308 re-barrelled and has a AI magazine system fitted and is ultra fast handling, has very low recoil
for a 6.6lb rifle and shoots great groups even at 400m. I bet they would have given an arm and a leg for this rifle in 1939....
I know it is not every ones taste but that is what we do and visiting rifle experts have been astonished about the accuracy and low recoil.
A friend of mine wants something similar, however with 270 we would not need a mag system as the original feeds nicely, we would possibly leave the barrel as is and only change the stock.
edi

Last edited:
Despite Gibbs Rifle Company's dubious tie up Parker-Hale I have no idea if this would have a P-H produced Hammer Forged barrel or not :confused: ........................................ but suspect it's a budget American made Button rifled one similar to those used by Century Arms on their budget sporting conversions.

Yes Kevin she is the very plane Jane stocked. I've taken some pictures but can only upload later. Very good to know the mount holes were factory made. thanks.

Piet, yes a 1909 made in Berlin. Was one out a truck load picked out. Lucky. However we butchered it....
Now it is sitting in a high tech graphite stock, is 308 re-barrelled and has a AI magazine system fitted and is ultra fast handling, has very low recoil
for a 6.6lb rifle and shoots great groups even at 400m. I bet they would have given an arm and a leg for this rifle in 1939....
I know it is not every ones taste but that is what we do and visiting rifle experts have been astonished about the accuracy and low recoil.
A friend of mine wants something similar, however with 270 we would not need a mag system as the original feeds nicely, we would possibly leave the barrel as is and only change the stock.
edi

Edi, if you ever want to get rid of that rifle (ie. read action). let me know first please...or if you come across any other '09 actions, I'm buying ;)

Zee pictures.

DSCN8909_zpsf5c650d2.jpg

DSCN8911_zps6a4ee881.jpg
DSCN8912_zps587cdadb.jpg
DSCN8913_zpsea4db686.jpg

DSCN8917_zpsbea7ee58.jpg

Piet, I could possibly connect you with a gunsmith in Germany. I think he helps out an import company as far as I know, they seem to handle large amounts of Mauser rifles. http://www.hauck-waffenbau.net/kai-hauck/
Anyway the one I received is great quality at very small money. The 7.62x53 barrel went out as we would not get any ammo anyway. Lothar Walther have barrels pre chambered and pre threaded for Mausers on the shelf for around 200 Euro.

Kevin, the barrel seems the nicest thing about the rifle, the open sights are very fine and I would not have a bother taking deer with them if they were zeroed well.

edi

Peter,
firstly I am no Mauser expert and just came across the possibility of owning/putting one together. It was a good learning experience.

Mausers like the 1909 need quite a bit of work until they are a useable hunting rifle in the modern sense.
Steps I had to take to get to where she is now.
- Bolthandle had the wrong shape and would not clear a low ish mounted scope, meaning it was hack sawed off and a new one was welded on.
- Scope mounting was sorted via drilling holes and cutting thread into the action (Barrel out) Some Mauser actions are too hard on the surface and need a heat treatment, at least just on the spot that is going to be drilled/threaded. Whatever mount goes on that is up to each own. I have pica set up on all my rifles and can rotate scopes depending on season and use of the rifle. My mauser has a red dot sight, a 1.5-5x24, a 3-12x50 S&B and I had a tactical scope on here before.
- Extractor ..... the 1909 is made for the 7.65x53 which has a rim thickness of around 1mm other cartridges based on 8x57/ 7x57 including American cases are mostly above 1.3 as far as I remember. Anyway it took me a few hours to re-shape the extractor claw so that the cartridge would "control round feed" smoothly. Maybe one can just purchase another extractor claw for an 8x57.
- The flag safety has to go, it fouls with a normally mounted scope. Cheapest option is the 45 deg two position flag safety. around 50,- Euro. Bolt needs to be disassembled and safety must be checked. If tolerances are wrong she could go off when one had pulled the trigger in safe mode and then switches from safe to fire.
There are quite a few different types of safety/triggers on the market. A friend of mine who re-barrelled her tuned my original two stage trigger which is now very good.

The Gibbs in the pictures has a few advantages as she has the bolt handle, scope mount holes and extractor claw issue sorted.

If you like you can also write to Kai Hauck directly. He might already be able to fix a few of the mauser issues if you are interested.
edi

Peter,
firstly I am no Mauser expert and just came across the possibility of owning/putting one together. It was a good learning experience.

Mausers like the 1909 need quite a bit of work until they are a useable hunting rifle in the modern sense.
Steps I had to take to get to where she is now.
- Bolthandle had the wrong shape and would not clear a low ish mounted scope, meaning it was hack sawed off and a new one was welded on.
- Scope mounting was sorted via drilling holes and cutting thread into the action (Barrel out) Some Mauser actions are too hard on the surface and need a heat treatment, at least just on the spot that is going to be drilled/threaded. Whatever mount goes on that is up to each own. I have pica set up on all my rifles and can rotate scopes depending on season and use of the rifle. My mauser has a red dot sight, a 1.5-5x24, a 3-12x50 S&B and I had a tactical scope on here before.
- Extractor ..... the 1909 is made for the 7.65x53 which has a rim thickness of around 1mm other cartridges based on 8x57/ 7x57 including American cases are mostly above 1.3 as far as I remember. Anyway it took me a few hours to re-shape the extractor claw so that the cartridge would "control round feed" smoothly. Maybe one can just purchase another extractor claw for an 8x57.
- The flag safety has to go, it fouls with a normally mounted scope. Cheapest option is the 45 deg two position flag safety. around 50,- Euro. Bolt needs to be disassembled and safety must be checked. If tolerances are wrong she could go off when one had pulled the trigger in safe mode and then switches from safe to fire.
There are quite a few different types of safety/triggers on the market. A friend of mine who re-barrelled her tuned my original two stage trigger which is now very good.

The Gibbs in the pictures has a few advantages as she has the bolt handle, scope mount holes and extractor claw issue sorted.

If you like you can also write to Kai Hauck directly. He might already be able to fix a few of the mauser issues if you are interested.
edi

Hi Edi,

thanks for the detail. yes an intro to Kai would be wonderful :tiphat: I am of course on pietasvenatores@gmail.com if you wanted to CC me.

I'm reasonably familiar with the sporterizing steps to convert military actions, personally I think they're wonderful and probably the epitome of action quality, engineering and 'class/style'. and am planning to build my own custom series of rifles in the coming years on FN, (Misc. good quality german 98's from the right years), argentine '09, peruvian '09s, chilean '12's, and of course old husqvarna's. That is, from 6mm's through DG rifles.

finding sources for good quality components (read actions) is the hard part, esp. at reasonable prices. Yes, you can buy a new CNC'd M98 action for £3K, but that pushes your end product pricing very VERY high.

There's new M98's coming from Serbia soon, not for Mauser, but it's a wait and see on quality and tolerances, and they're still comign in close to £1K in the white.

What you have in that rifle, IMHO, is probably THE best action ever built, and the exact action all high end custom rifles should be built on.

best wishes

Peter

Zee pictures.

DSCN8909_zpsf5c650d2.jpg

DSCN8911_zps6a4ee881.jpg
DSCN8912_zps587cdadb.jpg
DSCN8913_zpsea4db686.jpg

DSCN8917_zpsbea7ee58.jpg

Piet, I could possibly connect you with a gunsmith in Germany. I think he helps out an import company as far as I know, they seem to handle large amounts of Mauser rifles. http://www.hauck-waffenbau.net/kai-hauck/
Anyway the one I received is great quality at very small money. The 7.62x53 barrel went out as we would not get any ammo anyway. Lothar Walther have barrels pre chambered and pre threaded for Mausers on the shelf for around 200 Euro.

Kevin, the barrel seems the nicest thing about the rifle, the open sights are very fine and I would not have a bother taking deer with them if they were zeroed well.

edi

Edi,

Yep that looks like the Budget Gibbs Rifle Company one from the back page of their catalogue/leaflet. The stock although not Walnut cold with little work be made to look much more pleasing to the eye. Fluting the front of the comb would make a huge visual impact change and cleaning up the shape at the bottom of the grip and fitting a grip cap would also improve it hugely.

The iron sights are probably Wiliams whom also supplied those for the BSA CF2 and the Parker-Hale rifles. As mentioned before I cannot help with the barrels origin.

​I am interested in seeing how it turns out for you.

Edi,

Yep that looks like the Budget Gibbs Rifle Company one from the back page of their catalogue/leaflet. The stock although not Walnut cold with little work be made to look much more pleasing to the eye. Fluting the front of the comb would make a huge visual impact change and cleaning up the shape at the bottom of the grip and fitting a grip cap would also improve it hugely.

The iron sights are probably Wiliams whom also supplied those for the BSA CF2 and the Parker-Hale rifles. As mentioned before I cannot help with the barrels origin.

​I am interested in seeing how it turns out for you.

I'll show the results. The way it looks it will be similar to what I built, just without the mag system, no moderator and a more conventional paintwork.
edi

hi ejg I have a client that shoots every year with us he shoots a gibbs with 6.9x64 and 6.5x33 changeable barrels it is a nice old thing and shoots well. ps a nightmare with eu, fc, passport

hi ejg I have a client that shoots every year with us he shoots a gibbs with 6.9x64 and 6.5x33 changeable barrels it is a nice old thing and shoots well. ps a nightmare with eu, fc, passport

I think your talking about Gibbs of Bristol with this one. Which will be in a totally different league build quality wise. One of the committee members of the rifle club back in Surrey I belonged to picked up a Gibbs .256 magnum. Sadly he failed to do his research before the purchase only to find that despite being built on a 6.5mm Mannlicher 1903 it required the .256 magnum cartridges which are not the same and are costly and not so easy to find. The rifles build quality was excellent as one would expect from Gibbs of Bristol.

awe Brithunter it is a braw and well put together rifle very nice, I think he still has the original ammo for it to. leather case and 2 barrels and the scope swivels off. he is shooting 5 stags with me this year .

For the laugh we fired the rifle as is. I had 10 130gr cartridges in the workshop lying around.
My friend who will get the rifle also wanted to see what the recoil is like. We just stopped in a field and put up a target at 100m. First two shots missed completely....
So down to 55m ~60yd. At least I hit paper, two further shot's showed she grouped 1 1/4" off a long bipod sitting in the high grass.
I think she will be a shooter once all is done. My friend thought the recoil was no problem what so ever.
Whilst going back to the car we noticed the v-notch was loose and could be moved left to right. Looked as if the glue to hold it in place packed in.
edi
DSCN8925_zpse190e1f8.jpg

The rear sight is dovetailed and goes in from one side as the notch is tapered.

Sorry I do not recall off hand from which side it's fitted.. The folding leaf rotates on an interference fitted pin. The dovetail if damaged by forcing the sight out the wrong way of course can easily be repaired by careful peening.

It sounds like some right ham fisted git has had his mitts on this one.

Back