What sxs

jimbo1984

Hi gents I'm after a shotgun I like sxs straight stocked game guns with 28 inch or less barrels , I like the look of the aya no 2but a little out of my price range my budget is 500 quid any suggestions ?
Many thanks
​jim

Without being impolite...find one with a stock that fits and worry about the make afterwards! SxS shotguns are now very much a buyer's market and what was, new, into thousands will cost you just the wee hundreds.

At auction you could pick up an AYA No4 for around the two hundred and fifty mark. Even No2 can be had for about five hundred. I'd ignore the Webley 700 as they still make well over five hundred at auction UNLESS TIRED AN IN NEED OF WORK.

I'd avoid the cheaper Spanish products and a good BSA either British made or SKB Japanese can be picked up for under five hundred.

If you want non-ejector then the guns are very good value. And often you can even get them cased, virtually unused, by a maker such as Webley for under five hundred...if you are OK with 2 1/2" chambers. I've one myself I want to let go to make room.

Webley 700, circa 1970's, tend to sell for over £1,000.
AYA 3 or 4 would be nearer your price range. Or, if you can find one. Fausti sxs were selling for £900.00 new a couple of years ago. Second hand around £5 to £600.00.

2p worth
​Winchester 23 shoots like a dream single triger handles like a u/o multi or fixed game .

The ubiquitous AYA, can't go wrong there. Non-ejectors for buttons. Seen No 2's and model 25 sidelocks going for very little,good value if you don't mind a shorter gun, maybe just stretch your budget a wee bit. Suppose Guntrader and Gunstar are a good place to start.

Last edited:
I do prefer a shorter gun may save a little more , does anybody know of any auction rooms that take online bids I've done s search but no joy?

Careful what you buy at auction, as you may be in for a bill to fix a shot out hinge pin or worse.
Would have thought a private sale would be your best way to save cash.

Hi, I've got a nice English Boxlock ejector with 26" barrels that was refurbed (inc bluing) choked at 1/4 and 1/2 and re proofed about 5 years ago I have only put approx 500 cartridges through it since then on my syndicates boundary days. The stock might not be exactly what you want but it's a very nice gun. I can send you some photo's if you want to see it. I would be willing to let it go for £500 and Im also in Yorkshire (Bradford)

Rick

Hi, I've got a nice English Boxlock ejector with 26" barrels that was refurbed (inc bluing) choked at 1/4 and 1/2 and re proofed about 5 years ago I have only put approx 500 cartridges through it since then on my syndicates boundary days. The stock might not be exactly what you want but it's a very nice gun. I can send you some photo's if you want to see it. I would be willing to let it go for £500 and Im also in Yorkshire (Bradford)

Rick
Rick photos would be great thank you , I'm off to the lolocal gunshop next week as I need to pick a rifle up I orderedand I'm going to see what they have in stick so if it's ok ilkley you know after that ? Many thanks , jim

Thanks for the replies gents senna there are great bargains to be had especially if you can put up with 2 1/2 inch chambers

don't underestimate the 2 1/2 chamber , it's killed a lot of game over the years! it's all about hitting your target you know.............

Agree with tackb.
​The old 2 1/2 chambered tight choked barrels certainly will do the deed

Back