Out for a master buck

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Bus mans holiday this afternoon. Out with Robin off the site to see if I can connect with a big Fallow Buck he has been seeing on his ground.

Wish me luck

good luck, is it still in velvet, I seen the fattest buck ever yesterday, but could not get on him a lot of cover still about.

I have been assured by Robin that they are clean, if not I will not take it. As to taking it before the rut, its not a huge area and does hold good bucks at the moment. However as a good friend Robin has taken CWD, Red Stag in Scotland, Jap Sika stag in Scotland and in Dorset on my ground and also reasonable Roe Bucks for free.

This is Robins way of saying thank you to me, not that this is anyone's business.

Good luck! Look forward to seeing the write up!
I shot a buck and two prickets at the weekend, all were clean although the buck still has very 'fresh' antlers.

Last edited:
Good lu... Er, no, hang on. Good skill! Doesn't sound the same though does it? I bet that won't do your shoulder any good when you have to drag it home.

I have been assured by Robin that they are clean, if not I will not take it. As to taking it before the rut, its not a huge area and does hold good bucks at the moment. However as a good friend Robin has taken CWD, Red Stag in Scotland, Jap Sika stag in Scotland and in Dorset on my ground and also reasonable Roe Bucks for free.

This is Robins way of saying thank you to me, not that this is anyone's business.

not really interested whos business it is that wasn't my question,I was just wondering why take a master buck so soon ,you being a professional and all that.just seems a strange thing to do.
good luck

not really interested whos business it is that wasn't my question,I was just wondering why take a master buck so soon ,you being a professional and all that.just seems a strange thing to do.
good luck

sometimes even deer managers need a break and to give themselves a wee 'pressie' for the good work they do ;)

sometimes even deer managers need a break and to give themselves a wee 'pressie' for the good work they do ;)

ps. if this master buck has been dominant for a few years, it is probably time to rotate and let a new one into the breeding circle to avoid excessive inbreeding of his own genes.

just being a master buck, or stag, doesn't mean it's not the right cull beast.

Best of luck malc my mate says he's been seeing fallow on our permission I'm going they hang around till my legs are fixed but knowing fallow I'm not holding my breath lol

only asking if it was in velvet, as all ours still are, that does not stop me shooting them as heads are not what I am after, chill.

SUCCESS!! great evening. I have posted a report with pictures in the articles section.

Great evening and at least one more in the group we saw is nearly as big. I estimate the one taken to be about 8 to 9 years old.

Wouldn't be allowed on the estate I stalk either not untill well after the rut .
​norma

can't see why not! if you're trying to rotate him out of the breeding circle, surely it's the right thing to do! a master stag can remain dominant until their offspring are all 3 legged one eyed blue monsters...sometimes it's best to let a new promising lad in for a bit of fun with the ladies ;)

Back