Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game shooting V deer stalking

Game shooting V deer stalking

A recent intro posed a question and perhaps an answer to why stalking has become so popular .are more and more game shooters disillusioned with shooting game birds coming into stalking for the buzz and more natural man v prey scenario rather than blatting pheasants ? Not trying to beat game shooting over the head as I'm a keeper just interested if this is the case .
    ​norma

maybe something to do with costs,wing shooting can and is expensive for a day compared to a days stalking,

Less chance of getting shot if stalking!

K

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    A recent intro posed a question and perhaps an answer to why stalking has become so popular .are more and more game shooters disillusioned with shooting game birds coming into stalking for the buzz and more natural man v prey scenario rather than blatting pheasants ? Not trying to beat game shooting over the head as I'm a keeper just interested if this is the case .
    ​norma
    I've always enjoyed wildfowling and walked up patridge but I've far more opportunity stalking wise so if it's a choice between the two I always go stalking

I can't speak for anyone else Norma, but for me I see it just a case of 'natural progression'. I've loved shooting for as long as I can remember and previously got my full-bore 'fix' from the military. However, 8-years out and despite the hearing being completely screwed, I just couldn't stay away any longer and returned to shooting as a civilian this year. I was careful to have a proper set of plug in ear defenders custom made (by a hearing company) and use in conjunction with electronic ear cans. However, sadly my hearing seems to be so damaged that even the percussion seems enough to continue the damage and make the tinnitus even worse. I've consequently had to drop the clays and reduce use of the .17 HMR in favour of .22. I shall continue full-bore, but on a much more limited basis and foxing / stalking plays to that perfectly. As I've looked into further, the intellectual challenge and all associated skill requirements of stalking and dealing with afterwards have become increasingly appealing. I mean no disrespect to vermin only hunters (I'm still one myself), but there just seems so much more to stalking and how shall we say, somewhat of a 'spiritual' element. Finally and frankly, from everything experienced on this forum so far, the clientele also come across as generally far more "grown up".

Would not surprise me if that were absolutely correct.

Personally, in my case my mainstay until last year was wildfowling, simply because it’s accessible and affordable. My club has a few areas for pigeon and rough shooting too. There’s not much in the way of affordable gameshooting in the South-East, but in addition to that, shooting driven reared birds doesn’t appeal to me much, certainly not given how much it costs. I shoot driven birds once a year courtesy of a generous friend, it’s good fun, I have a chance to fill my freezer, but somehow, it doesn’t count. A bit like trout fishing at Syon Park: I go once or twice a year because it’s good fun and the only easily accessible fishing for me, but in my fishing diary, I never look at those pages again. I’ll swap you twenty reared pheasants for a chance at a single woodcock.

My regular expenditure on stalking (excluding equipment) is less than it would cost me for a day’s driven shooting. No contest!

For me as a newcomer there is a bit more reward to stalking.
    I enjoy wildfowling and rough shooting. Still love both of them.
    But the stalk, the selection, the one shot (hopefully), the grolloch, the butchering and feed the family is what does it for me.
    It is very similar to spear fishing - that I also love.

Hmmm....good question!

I shoot game as well as stalk - but I also shoot rabbits, foxes, rats and pigeons. I use air rifles, shotguns and rifles, and enjoy all of the different types of shooting that I do; different types of 'buzz' I suppose for each one! I look forward to a session whacking rats around a pheasant feeder with a non-FAC air rifle as much as I do a day's decoying woodies or a day at the pheasants (and the pheasant/partridge shooting I do is alternate stand/walk in a DIY syndicate, not big driven only days - not that I'm decrying that; different strokes for different folks and all that).

I think that for a lot of people stalking is perhaps more accessible than it used to be, and access to information via the internet has probably helped there - it's perhaps removed the view that 'stalking' = 'rich chaps going to Scotland to shoot Monarch of the Glen stags'. As we know there is more to it than that.....

Trading one for the other isn't something I envisage - I just enjoy multiple different aspects of shooting I suppose.
    Last edited by merlin; 04-09-2013 at 17:02. Reason: typo!
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

For me, it has been a simple matter of progressing! When I was younger, it was always rough shooting and pigeons, followed by some game shooting, which although I still love, I can take or leave in all honesty. A few odd days driven shooting a year is more than enough, most of them being small bag days too. But when I began to get into stalking through a friend, I was almost instantly hooked. Such a buzz from the whole occasion and for me stalking an animal that has had thousands of years of developing a huge awareness of predators, and to stalk in close without them noticing me is incredible!! It is the ultimate in terms of skill, satisfaction and continual learning and gaining of knowledge and for me, not much else comes close

Great question and thread Doug!
    Aim Small, Miss Small