Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AOLQ leaves a lot to be desired

AOLQ leaves a lot to be desired

Now that AOLQ has been rolled out across the country isn't it about time that minimum calibres were set as legal requirements for other species to prevent the shooting of some with unsuitable calibres.
    Boar can now legally be shot with any calibre shouldn't there now be a push for the guidelines to become a legal requirement, this IMHO would be in our best interests to support/encourage to show responsible practices are followed for all species, & I think our organisations such as CA, BASC etc should also support this, what do you think?
    ( I'm not a fan of legislation & DEFRA need to acknowledge UK Boar)
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

Quote Originally Posted by CWMMAN3738 View Post
    Boar can now legally be shot with any calibre
    AFAIK they can be shot lawfully with any calibre as long as undue suffering is not caused. I suspect that adherence to the minimum calibre guidance, as well as use of a suitable bullet (e.g. a .270, but not with a 110gr BT) would be seen by a court as a useful indicator of the shooter's intention to avoid causing undue suffering.

SD Regular
    Now that AOLQ has been rolled out across the country isn't it about time that minimum calibres were set as legal requirements for other species to prevent the shooting of some with unsuitable calibres.
    Oh dear! Whatever happened to the own shooter's common sense and discretion? Do we really need more of this "Nobody should be allowed to do something unless it is in the exact manner that I myself do it".

It is this nonsense that saw off a perfectly adequate deer calibre the 6.5x54MS and in shorter barrels makes the 303 borderline illegal in Scotland.

I fail to see how a body that says that 270 Winchester with 150 grain bullet is "minimum" for boar somehow thinks that a 6.5 Swede or a 264 Winchester (that can be loaded with a heavier 160 grain bullet is too small a calibre).
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 05-09-2013 at 07:23.

How would or could it possibly be enforced anyway?

IMO too much unnecessary and sometimes pedantic legislation within our sport can give rise to criticism from those that wish it harm (eg. future air gun legislation in Scotland for one is the tip of an iceberg) I also i feel it is removing the one thing that separates responsible hunters with a desire who have spent years learning how, why, and what works in a variety of situation and on various species, the right to take the well practiced correctly placed humane shot.
    Sadly the fact that 'AOLQ has been rolled out across the country' is misleading in that it appears on previous threads to not appear on all certs, and there are those who until renewal/variation will not benefit. I would be interested to see what list of unsuitable calibres for various species, (despite the obvious) we could all come up with, i expect that to make entertaining reading.
    ​cheers

Rick6point5, I think a table would provide great fun & laughter if it didn't get out of hand.
    As I said I'm not a fan of legislation either however not everyone is as ethical as the responsible hunters referred to by many, this is an unfortunate fact!
    By the same logic would you now advocate the removal of the legal min cal for deer in the uk?
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

It would for sure get out of hand, based on some of the threads i read on here..lol
    No i do not advocate existing legislation being removed as that itself would create merry hell with the anti's, and our sport does not need that! but i feel creating more will only add to the ammunition that is eventually used against us by these same bodies who it seems to gain strength year on year
    it's a great shame that in some cases responsibility, common sense & ethics does not prevail with those given permission to own and use a Firearm.
    I have noticed the trend of restriction being imposed over my 30 odd years in the sport getting tighter and am genuinely concerned as to where it will end up!
    cheers

I agree but feel its a double edged sword we are dammed if we do and if we don't as the flip side of the coin will be when a wounded boar hurts someone or something & the **** hits the fan because some A...hole has shot it with a .22 hornet.
    Shirley extending the deer legislation to cover boar would make us seen to be responsible if specific legislation isn't an option?
    I dont have an answer but this seems like a ticking time boom that our sport dosent need
    Quote Originally Posted by rick6point5 View Post
    It would for sure get out of hand, based on some of the threads i read on here..lol
    No i do not advocate existing legislation being removed as that itself would create merry hell with the anti's, and our sport does not need that! but i feel creating more will only add to the ammunition that is eventually used against us by these same bodies who it seems to gain strength year on year
    it's a great shame that in some cases responsibility, common sense & ethics does not prevail with those given permission to own and use a Firearm.
    I have noticed the trend of restriction being imposed over my 30 odd years in the sport getting tighter and am genuinely concerned as to where it will end up!
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by CWMMAN3738 View Post
    I agree but feel its a double edged sword we are dammed if we do and if we don't as the flip side of the coin will be when a wounded boar hurts someone or something & the **** hits the fan because some A...hole has shot it with a .22 hornet.
    Shirley extending the deer legislation to cover boar would make us seen to be responsible if specific legislation isn't an option?
    I dont have an answer but this seems like a ticking time boom that our sport dosent need
    Stop calling me Shirley.

That asshole has broken the law, regardless of wether thre is a minimum calibre set in law, he has caused undue suffering and if he went to court, the DEFRA guidelines would be used to prove his guilt. Probably

This is a known fact but can you imagine the ANTI's viewing it so simply and what kneejerk reaction would the government take if if something happened, also with the ever increasing threat of non lead bullets being made compulsory in at least some areas the potential for disaster is there wouldn't it be nice to be one step ahead having been proactive for a change instead of playing catchup and having to defend ourselves again after an event we could have gone some way towards preventing?
    Sorry it's this dammed predictive txt shirley
    Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    Stop calling me Shirley.

That asshole has broken the law, regardless of wether thre is a minimum calibre set in law, he has caused undue suffering and if he went to court, the DEFRA guidelines would be used to prove his guilt. Probably