Colour and Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul dog dog owners can be a strange lot and i have seen many a good line go down a bad road because it was took on board by the show brigade. I remember the middleton lines of terrier being very good workers. Then the show brigade got a hold of them and even Middleton himself went down that road because the money was too good to turn down. Greg mosley white went the same road and the Brightmoor blacks. All got took to the show,s because most that owned them didn't even have work for them. I hope the BMH in this country is kept by deerstalkers and worked by them for the correct reason. Show,s can be good fun as said but thats all they are.
My worry about colour is because with in a breeds allowance of colour a fad can emerge . Because they will sell well or if they are winning well at shows that will be the ones that are bred from and the small gene pool becomes even smaller.

Last edited:
Answer is simple Davie , DO NOT SHOW AND TELL ALL NEVER BUY PUPS FROM ANY SHOW CHAMPIONS. as you say it is the slippery slope to ruination of the breed FACT as the past shows us that can remember that far back. What has showing and the showing fraternity ever done to better any working breed and many other breeds. ££££ signs is all they are interested in not the working ability of any breed and you might not like me saying so but it started in Poland before the BGS became popular here , not going there and not wishing to cause any arguments, but the fact's speak for themselves it's simply supply and demand, create a demand for a colour or even a breed of not common dog, and someone will supply no matter how. The good looks and usually good nature of the BGS are it's downfall sadly, it is creating a designer stalking accessory, a must have look . That's my take on it and the proof of the pudding will come later watch this breed??

I agree Paul (Shock Horror ) Poland will not be the ruin in the end because they do require some sort of standard before there dogs can be shown .But here it is all about looks colour fashion style. There is no requirement for any sort of work end of.

Davie
am I missing something here

you started the thread about colour and tracking but as the thread developes you have turned or directed it onto Scent hounds
is there a problem ??
is there a problem with your dog ??
or is there a problem with another dog that your are unhappy or with their owner/breeder/handler

a little confused here

can't you just come straight out with the problem , as this is 9 pages on and still no clearer wot you are getting at

Richard yes you are missing something and what line a thread takes is anyone's guess . There is no surprise when youre confused now is there. :rofl:
But if you have a comment on colour and if it is important in a breed then lets here it and stop fishing this is a deer stalking site.

Already said all I need to say on the matter about colour and tracking
it was you that started the thread and changed the direction on it

I asked a simple question
hav you a problem??.... If so let's hear it....

if not, I 'll leave you to play your game..:D

....:-|....:popcorn:.....

please keep going, its just too funny to read a thread which started with the question if there is any relationship between the color of a dogs skin and its ability to track...
Thats a true cracker, give us more, please....:rofl:

....:-|....:popcorn:.....

please keep going, its just too funny to read a thread which started with the question if there is any relationship between the color of a dogs skin and its ability to track...
Thats a true cracker, give us more, please....:rofl:
Ahhhh-now I know why Schwarzwalders can track.....same colour as gestromt HS;)
Wish you well Michael with Albas VP

Colour has no bearing on tracking ability at all......

Then again Michael when starting a breed up-do you breed just for working ability or include a certain breed standard for that breed......ie colour and conformation is part of it as well.

If there is NO breed standard-how do you know the dogs are in fact that breed......

Example-if Alba was tartan:Dand the best tracking dog there was in the Verein,would she be bred from as she was so good at tracking or not as she did not meet breed standard,even if she was the right colour for her name:D

This discussion is very pertinent for you Michael I would think......and interesting-as it is for me too.:popcorn:

Colour does matter Michael and more importantly can be influenced at an early stage in a new dog breed. Lets just say that you have a good dog and it is winning shows lots of shows and becomes the best winning dog in the country. It can also do a test set by the breed club. This dog has certain colourations and has an exaggerated body type. It is put to 80% of the available brood bitches in that country will a type arrive knowing that this dogs genes could be in the most of the future breeding stock.
If Georges very red HS is the best dog in the country and is proven to be if he puts this dog over every possible bitch he can making sure that they go to working homes will this red colour be seen as the colour to have because everyone knows that it came from a proven worker.?????

Apparently, the best tracking dogs have a blonde coloured coat, blue eyes and a swastika tattooed on their front right pad

I'm positive Pascha would only be bred to an ISHV bitch that meets the breed standard both in conformation and working ability. This stops what your saying.

:smug: ..... I have to love it!!!
Its so b.... amazing, how really every thread about dogs, bloodhounds and tracking in special, is turning into some personal battlefields...
Why?
Why getting personal?
Why not excepting different views, different standards of breeding, testing, working our so loved dogs?

just a shame for all of us, holding good working dogs, showing the hunting public on here, that we take some things much to serious the wrong way....
Sorry, but you are far away from establishing any kind of tracking system all over the UK, when acting like that!
Instead, you will get more and more people, hunters, dog handlers, turning around and doing "their" thing.....
Finally, for me its hard to believe, that there is any kind of serious discussion about the relationship of a skin or hair and the ability to track.... Maybe thats why these threads develop like they always do....

WOW !
WHAT WAS THE OP ??. All very Funny, Amazing Really ! all from a rubbish post to start with , is it foggy and raining with you all, too.

Here we go again.

It is not the place to be rude and insult anyone on this site. People should spend more time deer stalking with their dogs, not on here banging a big drum all the time.

I am off to Scotland with my untrained BMH in the hope he will not let me down with clients should the need arise :rolleyes:

Thread LOCKED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back