Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Land already deemed suitable by Chief of Police

Land already deemed suitable by Chief of Police

Hi, im sure this has been covered before and have tried to find it on here to no avail. I have been given permission to shoot on land that has already been cleared to shoot over for the calibre i intend. I have a closed certificate do i need to fill in the form below everytime for a new piece of land or is it a case of "i have the landowners permission and the land has been passed by cheif of police and i'm good to go"

http://www.kent.police.uk/advice/lic...ion%20form.pdf

Thanks for your help.

Louis

It is the case that you have the landowners permission and the land has been passed by the chief of police and you're good to go
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    It is the case that you have the landowners permission and the land has been passed by the chief of police and you're good to go
    Are you sure about that Limulus?
    How do you prove that the land is passed for whatever calibre - not on the farmers/Landowners 'say so surely?
    How do the police know that you are shooting on it?
    I am with West Mercia and have to request permission land cleared or not (and it takes them months to do it as well!)
    ​ED

Just how do you know it has been cleared and for what calibre?

I had a farmer tell me his land had been ok'd by the police - it had!, but only for .22 and not larger ,so I would have been in trouble using the .243

Ring your FEO, they can check the data base, say if it's logged and what, if any, restrictions are in force. (You might even get your cert opened as a result of your enquiry)
    Price of a call can save a life time of grief

This condition is more of an anoyance than anything I find, but its quite simple with Wiltshire Police.

I get a new permission, ring or email my FAO with the address, postcode or grid ref etc. He then replys back normaly quite quickly (day or two) It would appear theres a national database of land that is cleared for rf / cf etc. If its already on the police database as being cleared then your good to go, if not then it needs to get checked. If the land hasnt been previously cleared and its in the same county then its a relativly straight forward its a FAO walk around. The problem I've found is when its in a different county, my FAO cant look at it, its got to be one of the FAO's from that county and that appears to take the time...

From what I read here and believed, contacting the police and checking the land has been approved or not applies to ALL no matter if you have no restrictions on your FAC (open ticket), is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam355 View Post
    From what I read here and believed, contacting the police and checking the land has been approved or not applies to ALL no matter if you have no restrictions on your FAC (open ticket), is that correct?
    That is incorrect. The position is set out at paragraph 13.12 of the HO Guidance. See below:

It should not be difficult for the
    certificate holder whose certificate is to be
    conditioned to allow shooting only on land
    approved by the chief officer of police, and
    with whom the responsibility lies, to establish
    whether an area of land has been approved
    for their type and calibre of firearm without
    consulting the local police. In most cases it is
    likely that the landowner, tenant or agent will
    be able to provide confirmation. It should
    only be necessary for the certificate holder to
    check with the police in a minority of cases
    and it is expected that in only a small
    number of those will it be necessary to
    inspect the land.

If you have an "open" certificate, ie you do not have the italicised wording:
    ...for zeroing on ranges, or land,

deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

Then you make the decision as to whether the land is suitable or not.

Last edited by Irish Bob; 05-09-2013 at 06:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Bob View Post
    In most cases it is
    likely that the landowner, tenant or agent will
    be able to provide confirmation.
    In most, but certainly not in all, cases however YOU are the one who will be in the "dock" if it goes wrong trying to justify what you did/did not do

The case I refer to at post#5 is the new landowner remembering the previous owner saying he shot the land with his rifle and therefore assuming all was ok.

Sometimes guidance is lacking common sense and cover your ar*se is needed- I suggest that this is one of those times