Thread: Black Cock, Freezing and Feather cleaning for best results

Black Cock, Freezing and Feather cleaning for best results

Alright folks

I was down picking up on a grouse moor the day and the keepers 'pet' cock has died, think it is quite an age, he has been feeding and worming it but it died, think just old age

I'm just wondering wot i can do to preserve it in as good as possible nick for getting it stuffed?

Was going to freeze it but do i double or triple bag it?
    Also the white patch behind ar*e hole is a bit skittery and stained wot is the best way to clean that, or better leaving it for the taxidermist?
    The plummage is other wise pretty good and the tail is in really good nick, the wattles are a bit faded thou, can they be touched up?
    Also the breast muscle has pretty much wasted away i take it that is not a problem.
    Finally (and i'm only expecting a ball park figure) but wot sort off money would i be looking at to get it stuffed?

Cheers very much in advance

Speak to Bill Bartlett

Cheers Heym, I tried to find his number online but couldn't get his site to load, infact virus thingy was stopping it and coming up a trojan horse? wot ever that means.

Decided to get my finger out and get it in the freezer soonish so phoned a more local taxidermist for some advice, have seen his work displayed at a clay ground so very happy afer speaking to him and will run it up to him some time.

Obviously he's not seen it yet but said he should be able to wash the feathers no problems and u can artifically dye the wattle a bit. He said 1 bag would be fine but 2 wouldn't do any harm.

Looking forward to it gettin done now

Good morning countryboy - just seen your post regards the Blackcock. I do not have a web site, and the only means of contact is via SD, therefore you must have been elsewhere. I have to advise you that I do not think it is a good candidate for mounting as it is clearly emaciated and the staining at the rear end is generally very difficult to remove as it is usually a lime green colour. Also, when they become emaciated, the plumage takes on a dullness that can not be replaced. It is not a good practice to wash birds any more than you can get away with. If you double bagged it in a sealed type container, then you can store it in a deep freeze for some months, but with emaciated birds most of the moisture in the skin has gone anyway, therefore it needs to be done asap. Ball park price for a top job expect to pay around 300.00 - 400.00. ATB Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bartlett View Post
    Good morning countryboy - just seen your post regards the Blackcock. I do not have a web site, and the only means of contact is via SD, therefore you must have been elsewhere. I have to advise you that I do not think it is a good candidate for mounting as it is clearly emaciated and the staining at the rear end is generally very difficult to remove as it is usually a lime green colour. Also, when they become emaciated, the plumage takes on a dullness that can not be replaced. It is not a good practice to wash birds any more than you can get away with. If you double bagged it in a sealed type container, then you can store it in a deep freeze for some months, but with emaciated birds most of the moisture in the skin has gone anyway, therefore it needs to be done asap. Ball park price for a top job expect to pay around 300.00 - 400.00. ATB Bill.
    Bill you have a PM.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.