Thread: Firearms insurance

Firearms insurance

As my rifle travels about a little bit I was considering insuring it, scope, binos etc. against loss/theft or damage.

Now, I know that BASC did do some firearms/optics insurance but don't see it mentioned on their site anymore. I looked into it at the time and my understanding, from reading the small print, was that the gear was only covered if it was stolen from the locked gun safe and there was evidence of a break in. That I could see it was fine if you were a collector but not much use to someone who travelled with or used their guns.

My main concern is with the airlines as they are famous for causing damage and famous for avoiding any liability. I would also like to cover the gear for an agreed replacement cost, rather than end up paying for cover only to discover that they value my loss at 15 when the time comes. I would guess that the replacement cost of rifle, scope, mounts, binos etc. must be about 4,000.

Has anyone any experience, thoughts or suggestions on this subject?

I used N.F.U for all my insurance in U.K, covered rifles and all accessories eevn when abroad.And was new for old.

NFU for me too. If I remember right, upto a certain value they are covered as general sporting equipment, over that value they just have to be listed as individual items. I had a claim for lost binos once and it was processed, new for old, no problem. JC

All NFU with me house land rover and contents and dogs all insured with NFU guns just added on to contents insurance no problem

All mine are specific items on the house insurance.

Came in handy when my shotgun got ran over ( but thats another story)

Quote Originally Posted by 243varmint
    All mine are specific items on the house insurance.

Came in handy when my shotgun got ran over ( but thats another story)
    Mine also..

Cost of adding was minimal

Does anyone know if you have to have house insurance with NFU or can you just get a policy to cover the guns?
    We have just got insurance through the bank so changing house policy would be a waste of money until next year now.