Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Mature Fallow Bucks Rare In The Wild?

Are Mature Fallow Bucks Rare In The Wild?

Earlier I posted on Swap a Stalk a go at Sika and Reds here for Fallow,CWD or Munties. I received lots of good offers from a host of tremendous lads as well as some rather bizarre ones! I have some very good mature Sika Stags and was hoping for a chance at a mature Fallow Buck. However most folk I speak to say palmated bucks are now very very rare in the wild. Is this really the case? if so it's quite sad and maybe a lesson for us in Scotland as I guess it is because they are being knocked off as they cross ground in different ownership at a young age. Big Red stags are not as common here as they once were due to shooting pressure and as it takes 10 years to grow a good stag then Reds could be more susceptible to this problem. We do have the advantage of bigger ,wilder areas though which will help. I wrote this then saw the pictures of Malcolm 's buck!!!!!!! David

Are you sorted for your swap?

Good bucks are very rare in the wild and the few I get I try and look after, but as everyone knows deer roam, and the majority of stalkers in my area shoot first and ask questions later.
    As has been said previously,most people shoot prickets and sorrels on site , the problem is a few of these are the good bucks of the future and if you don't select the right ones your good bucks are shot too early,ergo ,no mature bucks.
    Good Fallow also take 7-10 years to make really good heads, and their ground down here is much smaller than yours in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Good bucks are very rare in the wild and the few I get I try and look after, but as everyone knows deer roam, and the majority of stalkers in my area shoot first and ask questions later.
    As has been said previously,most people shoot prickets and sorrels on site , the problem is a few of these are the good bucks of the future and if you don't select the right ones your good bucks are shot too early,ergo ,no mature bucks.
    Good Fallow also take 7-10 years to make really good heads, and their ground down here is much smaller than yours in Scotland.
    CORRECT in my opinion I ALWAYS take a rubbish Buck over a Pricket eg above the ears and even ( pricket ) it's safe from me Also I think in general Fallow are the MOST miss managed Species we have ANYTHING with Antlers get Wacked

i only have fallow on my ground and mature bucks are very rare but fallow are buggers for wandering so once they are over the boundary its out of my hands

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fall.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	32136Click image for larger version. 

Name:	downloaded.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	32137
    We have a good number of decent mature Fallow Bucks here round Dunkeld. We have had a number of medal heads and shoot about 20 trophy heads a season with big palmated antlers. Cant find any photos of them but here a a couple of the average bucks we shoot.

rare as hens teeth in east lothian

We're a lot of nice heads in berskshire - tyford maidenhead way. Although I've not shot down that way for a while they were starting to get put under quite a bit pressure by pikeys hunting with dogs. I found several monster carcasses with bite marks all up the hocks the body's completely untouched not gutted but perfectly caped and that was all. I'd hesitate to think the spread they would have had as the size was huge. Out of the 2 separate groups I once stalked both had many medal heads and lots of small palm. Sadly as a young junior the buck were out of my allowance as my rights only cover fallow does, roe and muntys. Was some great deer in them part if you can get and keep an IN.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    So it begs the question.
    To those people that have Fallow.
    If they are rare, but one walks out in front of you, at an appropriate time of year, would you shoot it?
    I suspect that for many, the answer is bloody hell yes!!
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

And if the answer was yes,is that good management or just trophy hunting