Thread: Sako 85, left handed

Sako 85, left handed

I am thinking of treating myself to a Sako 85 varmint, but am unsure about the stock, they seem to be right handed more than ambi, the plan is to replace the stock with a custom one in time, but will have to shoot it for a while, Does anyone on here shoot an 85 varmint who is left handed, if so how do you find it, thanks for replies, cheers

Hi I have a sako 85 varmint wooden stocked, The stock is definitely right handed only but my mate is a leftie and he can shoot it ok, The left hand side of the stock is flat just like an ambidextrous stock so I don't think you will notice, The only issue is having to lift your head of the stock to work the bolt, I never understood why tikka sell left handed rifles and sako don't considering there made in the same factory.

Thanks Nod 1, that's good to hear, I like the right hand action it seems to work well for me, the main issue is the stock, I can't make out why Sako only make one left hand rifle, there must be a lot of stalkers that are not buying them, cheers

Sako do the 85 in left handed now, get a proper lefty, easier follow up shot etc

Quote Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
    Thanks Nod 1, that's good to hear, I like the right hand action it seems to work well for me, the main issue is the stock, I can't make out why Sako only make one left hand rifle, there must be a lot of stalkers that are not buying them, cheers

You've answered your own question. I guess there are just too many lefthanded shooters like you out there who will put up with a righthanded rifle.

You're asking a righthander whether a Sako 85 RH will be OK for a lefthander. The standard RH stock on the M595/M695, T3, Sako 75 and 85 is convex on the blind side, rather than having a rollover cheekpiece. That's a deliberate piece of design. It won't scratch the face, or smack the cheekbone if fired from the other side.

It seems that as long as the stock has a neutral bias the crucial issue of whether the bolt handle falls naturally to the lefthand grip is bypassed. That's strange. Presented with a similar choice with a LH rifle (with the supposed rapid fire advantages this has) I wonder why righthanded shooters never consider this option. If it's even suggested, they recoil in mock horror and think you've lost your marbles by asking such a stupid question.

Sako are just repeating the limited M85 LH offerings they peddled with the M75 Hunter. That was a long action only - with a 'plain vanilla' wooden stock at a hefty price premium. If a LH shooter wanted a shorter action, or a synthetic stock, or didn't want to pay the extra for a Sako then the T3 was and still remains the logical alternative. There is a T3 Varmint in Lefthand, but if this doesn't lift your frock then buy the standard Sako Varmint & put up with it in righthand form. Either way Sako hoovers up your cash.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I have a sako 85 varmint laminate and shoot of the left shoulder. It groups to under an inch and have not heard the deer complaining that they have been shot off the wrong shoulder. Go and try it in a shop if it fits it will shoot well.

​BE