where to get started

im a seasoned air gunner but for a while now ive wanted to start stalking but what would be the best order to start off as in do i sit a deer managment course or go straight for my fac cheers in advance

Go have a stalk with a guide see if the bug bites then go see about fac and dsc 1 many on here will have been under the wing of an experienced stalker long before the dsc Started and that is another more traditional way to learn the ropes so to speak and a good hands on way to learn .i personally learnt the old fashioned way and still learning many feel the dsc is a must have qualification that's up to you it's not compulsory !
Good luck
​norma

Last edited:
I think some do a few stalks and then DSC1; some do the qualification first and then start accompanied Stalking.
Pros and Cons attached to each approach - no right or wrong answer.
I was more comfortable with DSC1 under my belt before I started but I also can see why some do it the other way around
Good luck with whatever you choose though

No chap ,be honest with your experience and soak up the info ,tell the guide your a novice and he will tailor the stalk to suit and hopefully get you a deer .he will have you on the range and shooting at a target just to satisfy as to wether you are safe and accurate .
Enjoy
​norma
Ps you use the estate rifle for the above usually at little cost a few £s

have a word with john robson off here aka yorkshire deer stalking and book an outing as a novice you will learn so much from somebody who knows his ground and deer and all pressure is off you to take it all in even if you don't get a shot it will be rare not to see deer and get up close if that doesn't get you hooked nothing will, atb wayne

The dsc 1 is a bit of paper get out with a pro stalker for a few stalks see if you can do some work for local keepers and accompany them on stalks just to observe , nothing bests experiance , you don't need a dsc level 1 to get your fac

thank you lads ive spoke to john now and looking at booking a stalking session in next couple of months talk about being like a kid a christmas i cant wait

have a word with john robson off here aka yorkshire deer stalking and book an outing as a novice you will learn so much from somebody who knows his ground and deer and all pressure is off you to take it all in even if you don't get a shot it will be rare not to see deer and get up close if that doesn't get you hooked nothing will, atb wayne[/QUOTE

​+1 You will not go far wrong.]

Back