Ladder Test

Heym SR20

Please can somebody explain this in words of one syllable. Noticed mention in a couple of other threads. Seems like a good way to work up new load, but how do you do it and why does it work. Thanks in advance.

I've posted about my attempts at this before. I used this article as reference - http://www.6mmbr.com/laddertest.html the two challenges I found were:

finding a spot where I could shoot at long range (400 - 500 yds);
working out which bullet hole was which.

I shot at the attached target firing one round per bull, then moving forward and marking it up. It's not easy to follow, so I graphed it. I have attached a graph but it doesn't match the picture as I couldn't find that specific graph.

The 260 Rem load I've shot in competition with this year was worked up by trial and error with most tests shot at ~150 yds and revisited again and again. I did do a test of the load at 400m before I competed with it. It's the first summer I've only used one load in competition.

If you want to see more of the details, come round some evening.

Best regards

​JCS

Last edited:
+1 on the OCW method - use it to develop for all people I reload for.

I found that previously when I used the Ladder method (which really relies on shooting at distance) that other variables crept in such as the wind and shooter error + it was a long way to keep returning to the target to mark bullet holes.

Back