Thread: Two Beatiful English Shotguns - FT Baker (restoration) and T Stensby

Two Beatiful English Shotguns - FT Baker (restoration) and T Stensby

Due to my uncle recently being put into care, I have two of his English shotguns to dispose of.

They are a T Stensby (Manchester) BLE 28” Barrels with 14 ½” pull to front trigger. Left barrel .685”, right barrel .704”. I am not sure if the barrels are sleeved or not, I cannot see any obvious joins on the barrels, so "if" it is sleeved it has been done exceptionally well. The blacking is still good. This is a beautiful gun with lovely engraving. It has a cross bolt locking mechanism and an oval engraved with “TWS” I am looking for offers around the £750 mark to do this gun justice. In doing some research I found there is currently a T Stensby (NON-EJECTOR!) for sale in Cheshire Gun Room for £999 for comparison, and a pigeon gun ejector of the same characteristics for £1995 so I think £750 is a very comfortable and realistic price. As T stensby has since closed down in Manchester, these will soon no doubt become extremely collectable guns.

See pictures below…..

The second gun (his pride and joy) is a beautiful top of the range F.T Baker of 29 Glasshouse St (London) BLNE (sleeved) 26” Barrels with (approx) 14 ½” pull to front trigger.Left barrel 0.710”, right barrel 0.712” - proofed for 2 1/2" cartridges.

Unfortunately a few years ago, following a shoot day when he was in full fitness, the gun was left on the roof of his car in its case whilst driving home only to land on the road behind the car, breaking the stock cleanly across the grip and also leaving a small gouge in the breech end of the barrel. He never got round to having it repaired. Therefore I am selling this gun as a restoration project. I am trying to be realistic with the price, I have looked into getting it repaired but to be honest I would not benefit as I already have enough guns so looking to pass this onto someone that has the skills or time to restore to its former glory. I have had a quote of £80 - £120 to repair the stock by Greenwoods Gunsmiths, and average cost to reblack would also be £80-£120 with a minor barrel repair to the breech end. I am looking for offers around the £200 mark which would give someone a beautiful English gun with a beautiful stock for much less than £500 if it were to be restored to its former glory. It has really delicate fine scroll engraving with scalloped action. We also have a copy of the receipt from when my uncle bought it from Elderkins in the 1970's (bought for £500), as well as the advertisment itself from the shooting times where it was advertised at the time it was bought, so a little piece of history as well!!

Here are the pictures......

Any inspections welcome, just PM me in advance if you would like to come round to inspect. RFD to RFD at buyers cost should you wish to view the gun by post.

Thank you for looking..., please PM me with any questions.

T Stensby now sold subject to usual.

F T Baker still for sale, come on, make me an offer !!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bunny.gif 
Views:	384 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	32181

Quote Originally Posted by timney View Post
    t stensby now sold subject to usual.

f t baker still for sale, come on, make me an offer !!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bunny.gif 
Views:	384 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	32181
    both guns now sold subject to funds... Thank you...

Hi Timney. I know it's been a while, but do you still have the FT Baker?
    I have some time available to apply some TLC.
    Please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by MAH View Post
    Hi Timney. I know it's been a while, but do you still have the FT Baker?
    I have some time available to apply some TLC.
    Please let me know.
    Both guns sold . Thanks for your interest.