.22 Rimfire

MJ75

Does anyone have any recomendations on a cheap rimfire rifle for "bunny bashing"?

If anyone can tell me what to consider and what to avoid like the plague I'd appreciate it.

Cheers
MJ

P.S I'm all sorted for Beaver bashing thanks! :D

I just brought a second hand Anshultz for squirrel shooting. Its twenty years old but still very accurate! Although I wish someone had told me that you are not allowed to shoot the red ones! :eek: :lol: No not really just pulling your leg! :lol:

Beowulf said:
I just brought a second hand Anshultz for squirrel shooting. Its twenty years old but still very accurate! Although I wish someone had told me that you are not allowed to shoot the red ones! :eek: :lol: No not really just pulling your leg! :lol:

You tried eating the grey ones? I keep reading that they are good eating? Never tried it. Never seen it for sale.

Is there any ammo in particular you'd recommend?

If you can find one (I don't think they're still in production) the Walther K22 is a gorgeous little rifle. Worst thing I ever did was chop it in for a 'trendy' Ruger Semi.

22 rimfired are everywhere and cheap. The 17HMR has made second hand ones very cheap indeed.
I paid £120 for BRNO Bolt action, that came with sling,moderator,scope, 2 magazines,and a **** load of ammo.
They are simply not fashionable anymore, but still a good round

Look in the back of sporting rifle, there has been one in there for months,it was £60.
Stay away from the semi auto stuff tho, and stick to a bolt action and you should have years of trouble free use

40 grain does a job on bunnies, and it's cheap enough at around £4 per 50

I bought an old anschutz for £75, shoots really well despite the odd bruise here and there.

Winchester hp subs do the trick with rabbits just great.

:D

Hi MJ75,
I'm going squirrel hunting tomorrow, I'll let you know! Believe it or not I'm supplying a local butcher with them! :D

I have an Anshutz at the moment which i`ve owned for about 6 years now.
You can`t go wrong with a trusty Brno, they may not be the prettiest guns but they are reliable and cheap.

Ammo? I use winchester sub sonics, I find them very accurate and easy to get hold of.

wadashot

The cheapest rimfire l ever had was free :D , when l got a 22.250 a few years back l was looking for a 22 at the same time and the rfd had a little bsa supersport 5 and because l was getting a brand new 22.250 from him he threw that in for nothing, it was a great weapon deadly accurate and gave me many years of service, one thing l used to do was stalk tree rats feeding at pheasant feeders shot loads doing that, but l have never eaten one not to say l wont just never got around to it but l am told there very good BBQ'd

hi MJ75
(1) you need to shoot your squirrel
(2) skin and joint(2 shoulders,2 haunches,cut saddle into 2)
(3) lightly herb/spice
(4) roll all pieces in bread crumbs
(5) lightly fry 5-10 mins depends how burnt you like it
(6) serve as starter with a dip of your choice

ramsey eat your heart out :lol:

yours stone

I have eaten squirrel and very good it was too. If there is any truth behind 'we are what we eat' then we ought to eat more of them. I have a tompson center .22 rimfire with a short heavy barrel. its very accurate but not cheap. I used to use a ruger semi and it was awful.

for got to add
i bought a norinco 22lr model JW15A looks like a chinese peice of sxxt but was quite accurate out of the box and a parker hale air rifle sound mod screwed straight on
www.BRNOGuns.co.uk
stone

Drew
I also chopped in a Walther because of the length with a mod on and only able to get 5 shot mags which were like rocking horse S#*T. I have a Ruger 10/22T it's OK but I think I'll chop it soon for an Anshutz like my .17 accurate I should say so.

Dickie

i have got a brno american and its a great piece of kit.stay with a bolt action.i use eley ammo and had no problems :D

I know that a lot of you will hate them but I have a Ruger 10/22 and it is a fantastic rifle. It has all the volquartzen (or something???) mods and works a treat. Laminate stock and heavy target barrel make it ideal for lamping from the truck. I would not be without it. Can only use Winchester subs in it though. Tried a few others and they jam regularly but never with the winchesters.

hi Andy L
my first .22 was a ruger 10/22 semi auto and that was the only reason for getting rid of it was the fact i could only put winchester ammo through it as i found the oily/grease coating on most other ammo caused it to jam but the laminated stocks were class so i bought a 22win mag instead with the laminated stock heavy barrel so accurate (bolt action)perfect little tool for taking to work with me
stone

CZ 452 American Classic Rimfire, Eley sub sonics, furthest rabbit yet 110 yards. Very accurate, very reliable.

John

Back