Strange Marks on Neck

timbeech

Yesterday I shot my first block of home loads and today I'm noticing some weird marks on the case neck, right at the top where the bullet sits. They're 6 equally spaced crimp type marks, looks a lot like the rifling being stamped on them.

My loads weren't excessive, 43.0 - 45.0 grains of Vhit N140 in 0.5 grain increments. These are .308 using Sierra 150grn heads (#2125). Cases were trimmed to 2.008" and bullet seated to an OAL of 2.750"

Any ideas what's happening, and more important is this normal and are the cases ok to reload again. I've attached a photo but not sure how clear it is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Looks like either your using previously fired brass which was loaded them crimped.

Or you have a seating die that crimps.

The marks are not rifling marks - the marks are lateral to the diameter of the case....unless you have a uniquely rifled barrel that is!

Cheers, didn't think it could be the rifling but couldn't think of what else it could be

They were brought as once fired brass but there weren't any crimp marks on them before. My seating die can crimp but should be set up not to crimp a they didn't look crimped when loaded.

I'll see what happens to the next batch.

looks like factory crimp ! can't see you getting the case neck that far in to contact the lands you would need to compress the bullet back fully into the case :fib: nahh feller its crimping :tiphat: I load pro-hunters 308 but 45gr h4895

looks like factory crimp ! can't see you getting the case neck that far in to contact the lands you would need to compress the bullet back fully into the case :fib: nahh feller its crimping :tiphat: I load pro-hunters 308 but 45gr h4895

I do have a history of being a heavy handed *******, but it would be impressive to ram it that far in :)

Cheers, didn't think it could be the rifling but couldn't think of what else it could be

They were brought as once fired brass but there weren't any crimp marks on them before. My seating die can crimp but should be set up not to crimp a they didn't look crimped when loaded.

I'll see what happens to the next batch.

Yes. I'm betting those marks were there were. You just didn't notice them. I think if that was from rifling, you'd be speaking to us about a blown up rifle, not funny marks on your case necks**. Unless you use a Lee Factory Crimp Die, you won't get anything resembling those marks from a standard crimping die.~Muir

But just in case, you'd better trim your brass, just the same.

Last edited:
Deffo a crimp die in operation there,.... rifling marks, if you could get the case that far in, would exhibit an angular notching effect.

Back